Opinion, Staff Editorial

Ultra Music Festival must be held accountable for recurring incidents

Lack of accessible and free water. Lax security. Bad traffic management.

These are just a few of the problems festival-goers may have bumped into at Ultra Music Festival this past weekend. Ultra, like many other EDM events and large music festivals, has historically grappled with safety problems, such as the trampling of a security guard and three deaths in the past four years. That number now includes UM senior Adam Levine, an involved and well-liked student leader who passed away after seizure complications at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Ultra has so far tried to address safety issues with minor changes in the past few years, such as a stricter prohibited-items list as well as the ban of minors from the event, though the effectiveness of those measures is debatable. What must be demanded from the festival organizers now is a culture of accountability and education.

Ultra attracts more than 100,000 people from across the world each year to Bayfront Park, and organizers know that many attendees will be consuming alcohol and using drugs, as is common in rave culture. Even substance-free festival-goers will be spending hours out in the sun, dancing and sweating in the crowded heat.

These conditions can quickly lead to fatigue and dehydration, so easy access to free water and emergency medical care should be a given for all attending the event.

The festival organizers are not nearly cautious enough at this point. There are only two free water spigots at non-central locations and attendees may view overpriced bottled water as a barrier to hydration. Ultra has suffered incidents in the past of people unknowingly accepting spiked water from strangers, including an incident in 2013 when an attendee fell into a coma after drinking water that had been laced with antifreeze.

Monica Salazar, co-founder of the Electronic Music Alliance (EMA), a newly-formed EDM coalition advocating for a safer party culture, has urged for more safety measures. “We hope the city of Miami and Ultra will develop a better working relationship to make the event safer for both local citizens and attendees,” Salazar said after Ultra 2014.

EMA’s many programs offer drug education, drug-purity checking kits and medical services, such as Zendo, a psychedelic first-aid service offered to music festivals.

“PLUR,” an acronym for peace, love, unity and respect, is a phrase commonly thrown around at EDM events that refers to the communal sense of harmony festival-goers often experience. If this atmosphere is supposed to be one of the main enticements of the festival, Ultra needs to show that it cares for its attendees. In the least, the organizers can implement reasonable safeguards to stop a preventable problem from snowballing into an irreversible tragedy.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...