Opinion, Staff Editorial

Mobility Plan needs more acknowledgement, promotion

Last week, the Miami Herald published an article called “UM paves way for fewer cars traveling around campus” that outlined a set of policies known as the UM Mobility Plan, last revised in July and available through a quick search of the university’s website. The report highlighted how the university used measures such as designated parking lots, discounted Metrorail passes and Hurry ‘Cane shuttles to drastically reduce vehicle use and traffic around campus.

The article portrays the effectiveness of the Mobility Plan through rose-tinted glasses. It cites that school shuttles run in intervals of five to seven minutes. However, students who use the shuttles are more familiar with daily inconveniences such as overcrowded buses or significantly longer wait times during rush hour.

In addition, the article and the Mobility Plan report both discuss subsidized public transit passes as solutions for employees and students, but only about 370 individuals from the Coral Gables campus use these discounted Metropasses, according to UM’s Mobility Plan report. Advertisement of this program to students is virtually nonexistent, so many students are unaware of how to sign up for this discounted program.

The available day parking options offered by the Mobility Plan are also subjects of student concern. Now that the discounted Ponce de Leon Garage will soon be used for UHealth staff and patients only, it raises the question of whether an alternative discounted parking option will be made available for students.

No doubt, decreasing the need for vehicle use around campus creates a safer, quieter campus environment, but the creators of these policies need more input from the individuals most affected by these changes and most familiar with the day-to-day challenges of moving around campus: students. If it is students who are paying for parking, waiting for shuttles and riding public transit to get to classes, research and internships, it is students who should have a voice.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...