Opinion, Staff Editorial

Frenk must focus on boosting spirit

While past President Donna E. Shalala initiated a massive physical transformation of the campus to make the University of Miami a better place for 21st century learning, President Julio Frenk must continue that legacy by invigorating the school’s social and academic spheres.

One of the largest challenges President Frenk will face at UM is the lack of holistic student engagement in extracurriculars and school spirit. Whether it is low attendance at basketball games or a lack of engagement with Student Government, our student body seems disjointed and unengaged as a whole, despite the enthusiasm that may have been displayed at Canefest this Saturday.

Many student organizations find it difficult to attract a wide variety of students to their events. Instead, clubs find themselves limited to small niches. While the university boasts over 270 student organizations, there is a lack of unity and awareness among different clubs and societies. Achieving a culture of synergistic cooperation and increased student engagement among student organizations is a goal that President Frenk should keep in mind while working with student leaders.

The same kind of transformation must also be applied to taking pride in Hurricane sports and academics. While Hurricane athletics desperately tries to attract students with freebies, food and hype, the stands remain disappointingly empty. Though the Miller School of Medicine and UHealth are the pride of South Florida, improving other departments on the undergraduate campus are necessary for a well-rounded academic institution that students and faculty are proud to be a part of. If President Frenk can somehow get students riled up in the stands as well as in the classroom during his tenure here, he will have accomplished a significant feat.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: cURL error 56: Failure when receiving data from the peer