Enjoy Thanksgiving before holiday gifting

It wasn’t long after everyone had packed away their Halloween costumes that Christmas jingles started playing on the radio. Holiday season seems to be in full swing.

And with Black Friday right around the corner, now looks like the prime time to start stocking up on the gifts you’ll give to all your friends and family during the upcoming months. The end of November signals the start of the winter bargain hunt.

The shopping season typically begins the day after Thanksgiving, but this year, many retailers are opening their doors on Thanksgiving itself, such as Best Buy, Target and J.C. Penney. Several stores, such as Costco, have already begun their extended holiday hours.

Retailers hungry for sales will be pushing harder and harder to draw customers in early. Millennials like us, according to a survey by financial services company Bankrate, Inc., are more likely than any other age group to shop on Black Friday and Cyber Monday this year.

While good deals may be tempting, don’t set your sights so far ahead that you neglect the holiday coming up in just one week.

It’s true that the pilgrims weren’t quite as nice to the Native Americans as the illustrated storybooks we read in elementary school would have us believe. Ransacking the shelves on Black Friday may actually be a fairly appropriate way of honoring their interactions.

But the spirit of Thanksgiving goes beyond history and has come to represent togetherness and generosity that participation in a consumerist frenzy makes it easy to forget.

UM students are fortunate enough have an entire week off to spend however they please. Whether you’re going home to visit your family or catching up on homework, try to use the time to unwind in some way.

If you really feel that you need to start preparing your presents, you can always try making them at home. A sincere and thoughtful card, even if it’s just a few sentences, can have a lot more impact than a candle you found on sale at Target.

There is no need to feed the hysteria that only grows stronger as we move toward December. Christmas is coming and it’ll get here no matter what. Until then, enjoy Thanksgiving.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...