Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the editor: Adderall abuse sets ADD patients back

A month ago, the editorial board condemned Lance Armstrong for his use of performance-enhancing drugs in the Tour de France. This week, The Miami Hurricane unashamedly encouraged its readers to abuse performance-enhancing prescription medications, telling students that it’s okay to take the alleged psychological equivalent of steroids. In doing so, my beloved paper sold its professional image for ratings.

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a serious psychological malady which has been trivialized by popular culture. There are rules and criteria for the disorder which should not be overlooked, such as vulnerability to distraction, extreme forgetfulness, lack of attentiveness and dislike of activities that require pronounced mental effort. In order for an individual to be diagnosed, these symptoms (and at least two other unlisted criteria) must present themselves in at least two different social settings and cause noticeable impairments over a period of six months.

ADD symptoms are commonly treated with stimulant medications like Adderall, Concerta and Vyvanse, which have side effects as far apart in magnitude as dry mouth and epilepsy-grade seizures. Furthermore, these drugs are amphetamines commonly used in the synthesis of crystal meth. Because of these side effects (as well as the ethical implications surrounding the drugs), I waited years to fill my prescriptions. I was so reluctant that I avoided the subject throughout my undergraduate experience. Though I suffered academically and professionally, I did okay.

Because people abuse these stimulants, there is a nationwide shortage of Adderall, Concerta and Vyvanse. As a result, those of us who actually need the medication must work harder to fill our prescriptions. The prevalence of jacked-up, super students makes it harder for people with ADD to compete (or catch up) in school settings and in the workplace. By promoting cheating and Adderall abuse (or articles by those who do), the Hurricane only complicated its situation.

As an idealist, I believe all people must take responsibility for their ideas, words and actions. As a writer, I believe that journalism must be used to hold society accountable for those things and their consequences. The press exists to spread enlightenment to the masses through the truthful, fair, comprehensive and tasteful analysis of relevant events and issues.

Andrew Blitman is a graduate student at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

Andrew Blitman

Science Columnist

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Letter to the editor: Adderall abuse sets ADD patients back”

1. Listen, everyone. Regardless of your stance on the matter, both sides exercised freedom of speech–a right protected by the First Amendment. If you want to prevent things like this from happening in the future, pay attention. Read the Miami Hurricane. Hold your writers to the journalistic standard and let them know that they represent the same University you do.

We are all students, and we have a right and a duty to represent ourselves, our fellow students, and our university in a positive light to the best of our abilities. Please note that Robert Pursell is a student too, and he is learning how to be a journalist as much as the other writers of the Hurricane. Forgive him, forgive the Miami Hurricane, and move on. Zealots get us nowhere.

2. Jealous of Jose Canseco says:

Good letter Andrew. Never filled my prescription and I think a part of that is because it was so easy to get. I went with my mom because she wanted me to look into taking it from years of focus problems and wouldn’t let it go but the appointment was only 15 minutes and despite telling the woman I was going to sell the drugs she gave me I still walked out with it.

The stigma definitely plays a significant role in not pursuing a real doctor and prescription. Wonder what a 3.5 engineering kid could do with focus… have time to sleep? :)

proud of you

3. I would like to announce that I made a mistake about the Adderall shortage. Though there WAS one in 2011 that persisted into 2012, the shortage was not caused by Adderall abusers. It was a bottleneck caused by the FDA limiting one of Adderall’s main ingredients. For more, here’s one of the sources:

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/insight-shortage-of-adhd-drug-adderall-seen-persisting-in-2012

I am sorry for jumping to conclusions on that point and take full responsibility for my mistake,

Andrew Blitman

4. thankgoodness says:

Glad to know that UM has done it’s job on at least one student–you, Andrew–in providing a quality education.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...