Random hookups devalue concept of love

While the definition of love varies from person to person, I believe it to be something dignified and great because of what it creates: friendships, families and eventually children (the ultimate gift).

At its maximum, love is the most beautiful thing there is, especially when it is consummated after marriage. However, love or romance or whatever you call it is a process that takes time. Romantic love is tied to sex, which is connected but different.

I have no problem with premarital sex as long as it is done for the right reason, consensually within the confines of a loving relationship. When it comes to the clubs, there is no love. There is only desire without commitment; it is only pure physical gratification. In other words, one individual uses another individual as a sexual object to fulfill a sexual urge. Compared to the romance of my dreams reinforcing my sense of self-worth, a one-night stand with a drunk girl I randomly met at some bar seems like an act of prostitution.

Unfortunately, many people hedge their bets too soon, thrusting themselves into emotionally unhealthy relationships that shatter their dreams of true love. I know how bad it is to be extorted for time, money and resources. It’s one thing to be extorted out of your possessions, but something entirely different to be drunkenly extorted out of your body or sense of self for someone else’s pleasure.

Such an experience sounds too degrading beyond the limits of my imagination to be real, but it happens to college students every week at the Grove, house parties and South Beach. It really grinds my gears, yet for some reason it is socially accepted.

I don’t understand why this behavior is tolerated, especially among the good people that constitute UM’s student body. I don’t know what family values they will pass on to their children later in life. I can only hope my friends and fellow students realize their immeasurable intrinsic value and the implications those drunken decisions can have on their futures.

There are so many great people that deserve the best out of life. They deserve the fulfilling, healthy relationships built on discipline, integrity and mutual trust that make both partners happy. I only wish they find the fortitude within themselves to wait for them. After all, good things happen to those who wait.

Andrew Blitman is a senior majoring in marine affairs and biology.

Andrew Blitman

Science Columnist

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on fourth-ranked and third-seeded Astra Sharma Wednesd ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...