Basketball, Sports

Tide roll straight over Hurricanes in NIT

The Hurricanes’ season and their NIT run ended simultaneously last night at the hands of the Alabama Crimson Tide.

It’s not the way the Canes looked to end, but Alabama rolled pasted Miami 79-64 at Coleman Coliseum in Tuscaloosa, Ala. The Tide now look forward to an NIT Final Four matchup with Colorado.

Miami had to battle to get back into the game after trailing by 10 points at halftime with 10 turnovers on the stat sheet. The Hurricanes cut Alabama’s lead down to 42-41 after a layup by junior forward DeQuan Jones, but the Crimson Tide engineered a 26-10 run in the second half and ended the Canes’ season on a sour note.

Though the Canes combined for just 15 turnovers in their first two NIT games, Alabama forced them into 19 giveaways Wednesday night.

Sophomore guard Durand Scott led the Hurricanes with 19 points and redshirt sophomore forward Reggie Johnson had 14 points. Jones added 12 points and three steals.

The Hurricanes needed plays from their impact players but Alabama didn’t allow them. Sixth-year senior forward Adrian Thomas didn’t score and redshirt junior guard Malcolm Grant had six points but didn’t get to the free throw line. The Hurricanes finished the year 21-15 and 6-10 in the ACC. The Canes won their first two games in the NIT against Missouri State and FAU.

The Hurricanes struggled in the opening half against Missouri State, but opened the second half under the guidance of Adrian Thomas, who knocked down four 3-pointers. The Canes continued to fight off the Bears and a pair of free throws by freshman guard Rion Brown in the final minute sealed the win for Miami, 81-72.

“It’s a great win for us,” Haith said. “We beat a really good Missouri State basketball team. We came out ready to play in the second half; we were stagnant early in the ball game. Thomas gave us a lift.”

Scott had 20 points, five rebounds, and four assists. Thomas had 16 points and Grant added 10 points.The Hurricanes took care of business in the first round by dismantling FAU 85-62. Grant led Miami with 23 points and Johnson had 14 points and a career-high 20 rebounds. Scott had 19 points and four assists.

Haith was pleased that impact players stepped up and responded after losing a 19-point lead against North Carolina in the ACC Tournament quarterfinals.

Reggie was a major factor,” said Haith, “Malcolm was outstanding, scored 10 straight points in one point of the time. Durand was outstanding, only took six shots.”

Lelan Ledoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...