Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes win third straight road game

A sense of direction was needed for the Miami Hurricanes for the remaining of the season and head coach Frank Haith delivered.

The night before the game Haith spoke to the team about not giving up, not quitting on each other, and how do you want people to see you as a player.

The Miami Hurricanes responded and made a statement for their head coach.

Leading by 21 points at halftime, the Hurricanes held on from a second half surge from Boston College winning, 73-64.

The Canes (17-11,5-8) have won three straight roads games now, including two ACC games and have five of their last seven.

The entire team scored and four players had double digits points.

“We all talked and had one on ones. Heart felt messages,” said Haith, who team had a balance offensive production. “They responded. Some things are going to happen to this team. Lets get better from this game and what did we learn from this game.”

Boston College (16-11,6-7) was a bubble team and was being project as a team to make the NCAA Tournament. However, Miami could have ended their hopes as the Canes jumped out early and didn’t let up going to halftime, 38-18.

The Eagles shot 30 percent from the floor and were 1-for-9 from three-point territory. Boston College had eight turnovers and was outrebounded, 21-10, to a swarming Miami defense.

“I thought our intensity and focused was unbelievable at the beginning of the game,” Haith said. “That first half was one of the best of the season.”

Boston College got within seven points but back-to-back three point plays by redshirt sophomore forward Reggie Johnson put the Eagles back into a hole. Johnson scored 12 of

“Those plays were big,” Haith, said about the back-to-back three point plays by Johnson. “We kept making plays. We found some composure.”

When the two teams matched up at the BankUnited Center back in January, the game down to the wire. Trailing 68-67 with 21 seconds remaining, the Eagles had the chance to take the lead but junior guard Reggie Jackson drive was blocked by redshirt forward Julian Gamble and the Canes ended up winning, 70-67. Jackson had 22 points in that game but was held to 15 points on 5-for-14 from the field in this contest.

Jackson was averaging 18 points per game and shooting 49 percent from the field.

“It was a tough 15 for him,” Haith said. “We had all eyes on him. We had some great close outs on him.”

Haith was impressed how his team handle Boston College run towards the end of the game. The Eagles out scored the Hurricanes 47-35 in the second half.

“We scarped it out,” Haith said. “We came out with an A for that tonight.”

The Hurricanes have three ACC games remaining, their next game at Florida State Saturday.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

Contributing EDGE Writer

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...