The 88 stays catchy

Courtesy the 88 photo by Eric Cwiertny

Since the release of their debut album in 2003, The 88 have yet to disappoint. With each album, the Los Angeles rock band dives into the pool of rock and brings pop with them to stay afloat.

The 88 consistently deliver catchy lyrical tracks that are infused with infectious and upbeat tempos. Having kept their feet firmly planted in the musical world, The 88 should dig even deeper with their self-titled album.

The trio, comprised of vocalist and guitarist Keith Slettedahl, pianist Adam Merrin, bassist Todd O’Keefe and drummer Anthony Zimmitti, created their album while touring worldwide with Ray Davies of The Kinks.

The 11-track EP features songs that embody the Californian laid back melodies once heard on “The OC,” but also contains the high-energy rhythms that resemble the rawness of live music.

The opening track “They Ought To See You Now,” which includes back-up vocals by Ray Davies, consists of pleasantly jarring rifts of the guitar and lively beats of the drums. At times, the song resembles the blues with the eclectic sounds of the guitar, and at other points the music of Broadway shows with theatrical leading vocals, accompanied by harmonized back up singing.

Tracks, such as “After Hours,” “Dead On The Water” and “Automatic Brain” harbor the similar aspects of the leading number. The 88 dexterously include over-the-top sounds of the guitar, base, piano and voice without overwhelming the listener, keeping the band at the forefront of the rock and pop world.

Nothing is more pleasant than a rock band singing a ballad. Reminiscent of the slowed paced tracks sung by the grunge bands of the 90s, “Takes It Away” adds the passionate love lyrics and folk flare to the 11-track EP, bringing the self-titled album full circle.

“The 88” by The 88

RATING: ¾ stars

Label: Rocket Science

Released: Sept. 28

LonnieNemiroff may be contacted at lnemiroff@themiamihurricane.com.

Lonnie Nemiroff

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...