Staying in tune with his inner Cane

Courtesy Minoan Music.

How many University of Miami students can truly say they were destined to attend UM? How many can say they were destined to be an acclaimed entertainer? While many wish and dream, one alumnus has actually made those dreams and aspirations reality: musician, actor and UM alum Eric Alexandrakis.

Born across the street from campus at Doctors Hospital, UM has always been a second home to Eric Alexandrakis, especially with his father, Dr. George Alexandrakis, teaching as a physics professor at the university.

“Eric was raised in an academic environment. The Hurricanes’ games became part of all our lives,” Dr. Alexandrakis said. “We loved our university and Eric was attached to UM just as much as we were. He himself decided not to even apply elsewhere.”

Though his father took the science route, Eric Alexandrakis developed a passion for the arts early on in his adolescence, listening to legendary composers like John Williams and Mozart.

Eric Alexandrakis’ musical inspirations now range from John Lennon to his three partners: guitarist Warren Cuccurullo, drummer Steve Ferrone and multi-platinum producer Anthony J. Resta.

“I am a fan of anyone that is exceptionally creative,” Eric Alexandrakis said.

Nevertheless, before he was marking the Top 40 U.S. Adult Contemporary Radio charts, Eric Alexandrakis started as a public relations and English literature double major at UM. During his undergraduate years, he spent most of his free time in recording studios and feels he learned a great deal about networking while at UM.

“Being at a university (and one of the best) is essential to anyone’s education. Not just because of the knowledge you gain, but also because of the interactions [and]connections you make,” he said. “It’s a society within a society, and it’s important to learn how to function within society. UM is extremely good at that.”

Eric Alexandrakis later attended UM’s graduate program in music business and entertainment industries and began pursuing his musical career professionally.

“I was willing to learn; I’d kill myself to meet the right people. This isn’t necessarily the best thing, as some people try to take advantage of you in the worst of ways. I’ve had a plethora of this along the way, but I learned how to present myself credibly and weed out the overly superlative phonies,” he said.

Once he made the decision to pursue a career in music, Eric Alexandrakis stuck to it even during trying times.

According to his parents, he wrote, composed and produced his first album while receiving chemotherapy to battle Hodgkin’s disease, a type of white blood-cell cancer.

Despite the seriousness of his illness, his parents remember that in the midst of  receiving transfusions, he still managed to make funny faces that made them smile.

Eric Alexandrakis’ latest EP “Terra Firma” is a conceptual travel album, whose style can best be described as “avant-pop electro.” Singles for the EP will be released every two weeks via social networks like Facebook; the album should be available in early 2012.

Jamie Stephens may be contacted at jstephens@themiamihurricane.com.

INFO BOX:

Fun Facts about Eric Alexandrakis…

-When asked who his biggest fan is, Eric proudly claims his three-year-old son.

-Aside from music, Eric possesses a talent for acting, as can be seen in his minor appearances in movie hits like “Miami Vice” and the television series “Dexter.”

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

The king has been dethroned. The University of Miami’s often painful uphill journey came crashing to ...

University of Miami tennis player Estela Perez-Somarriba, who made history on Sunday as the first fr ...

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...