Farmers’ Market offers raw vegan delights

Seated on a picnic table bordering Grand Avenue, Jude Diaz takes a bite of the ice cream he purchased a few feet away. His eyes widen and light up.
“You need to try this- it’s made out of nuts,” he tells his wife Rachel, shoving the cup in her face. “No dairy!”
“No dairy?” she asks.
No dairy. Like many other food products sold at the Coconut Grove Farmers Market, it’s also raw vegan and organic. Foods considered ‘raw vegan’ have no trace of animal origin and have not been cooked at more than 118 degrees Fahrenheit.
Each Saturday, about 1,000 people attend the farmers market, which USA Today named as one of the best in the nation. The market sells organic produce, raw vegan concoctions, and other rare food products of this nature that can solely be found at this venue.
“There’s nothing really quite like this anywhere,” said manager Stan Glaser, his narrow frame attesting to his 35 years as a raw vegan. He is also the owner of Glaser Organic Farms, which provides most of the products featured.
The market is spread out along Grand Avenue. Colorful displays of recognizable produce occupy most of the space alongside foods that are not as recognizable: red flax seed crackers, raw hump seed nut butter, chickpea carrot croquettes and more.
The market also features 50 different kinds of juices, a salad bar and a deli, in addition to spreads, pies and salad dressings- all raw vegan and all organic.
Recent graduate Melanie D’Andrea made an impromptu visit to the market on her way back to campus two miles away. She went raw vegan for two weeks.
“[The market] opens your mind to what food is and how you can prepare it differently,” D’Andrea said. “For the people who…are at S’barros 24/7, it’s a good way to get healthy food.”
“When you eat a lot of processed food, they become robbed of nutrients. Raw food is nutrient dense,” said Tracy Fleming, the raw food chef at Glaser Organic Farms. She is the creator of  many of the prepared raw vegan products sold at the farmers’ market.
Under one of the tents, local yoga and martial arts instructor Kiro Ace eats a slice of raw vegan strawberry shortcake and washes it down with coconut water.
“I’ve become addicted to the feeling of [being]healthy,” he said. But, the feeling comes with a price.
Sixteen ounces of organic vegan ice cream is listed at about $16, almost three times the cost of a regular pint of  ice cream in any typical grocery store. Although only a small percentage of the individuals who visit the market are actually raw vegan, Manju Goradia and other customers agree that the food is worth the occasional splurge.
“I would rather eat here than the best restaurant in town,” Goradia said.
IF YOU GO
What: Coconut Grove Farmers’ Market
When: 10:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. every Saturday
Where: 3300 Grand Avenue, Coconut Grove
Farah Dosani may be contacted at fdosani@themiamihurricane.com.

Farah Dosani

Contributing Writer

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Farmers’ Market offers raw vegan delights”

1. Fabiola Uloa says:

Love these upstart Vegan markets and want to encourage everyone to invest in their health versus paying for being sick. Rock on, Vegans!

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...