COSO aims to get all Hurricanes involved

The Committee on Student Organizations (COSO) is designed to do one thing: get students involved. If there is a club that exists on campus, it falls under the umbrella of COSO.
“COSO is the Student Government of student organizations,” said Jaife Calil, former president of COSO for the 2009-10 school year. “We overview every club and approve new clubs and hold workshops for sponsorship and leadership.”
From salsa dancing to Random Acts of Kindness, there seems to be a club that will satisfy all students. If there is a club that doesn’t exist, however, starting one couldn’t be easier.  “We had 20 new organizations approved last school year,” Calil said.
Students only need to submit a proposal as well as a constitution that states the ideals and goals for the club to the COSO offices on the second floor of the University Center.
If you don’t want to start your own club, but are just looking to get involved, COSO hosts two events, one per semester, which showcase student organizations and allows students to see all of the options that they have. These events – Canefest in the fall and the Spring Involvement Fair – give members a chance to pass out information about their clubs and allow interested students to sign up.
“I think these events are great,” last year’s Vice President of COSO Amar Mandalia said. “It shows the variety of organizations on campus and really highlights student involvement.”
Canefest, a bigger version of the Spring Involvement Fair, is held annually on the floor of the BankUnited Center. During this event, sponsors give away pizza, drinks and t-shirts, and the University of Miami cheerleaders and dance teams take the stage to perform.
“Canefest is a great way to get freshman and transfer students to see what’s going on on campus,” Calil said. “It’s also a really good way to network.”
The event is intended for new students, but is so popular that students from all grades attend.
“Going in as a freshman, it was really beneficial just because it gave you a feel of what you could join and the opportunities you had at UM,” rising senior Heather Gaines said. “I went to Canefest and joined the Young Democrats because I wanted to get involved in the election, and they provided an opportunity for that.”
These events are great ways for incoming students who may be overwhelmed by everything thrown their way, but still want to get involved.
“These organizations are designed to showcase whatever you could want,” Mandalia said. “It adds to the UM experience.”
IF YOU GO
What: Canefest 2010
When: Tuesday, August 24
Time: 5 to 8 p.m.
Where: The BankUnited Center

Ian Hest may be contacted at ihest@themiamihurricane.com.

Ian Hest

Contributing EDGE Writer

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...