Be Seen Being Green College Music Tour kicks off at UM

April is now officially Be Seen Being Green month in Miami Beach, and the movement to encourage practical green living is coming to the Storer Auditorium this Thursday. Persia White, animal welfare and environmental activist and actress from the top rated African American television show Girlfriends, will host a seminar from 3:30 to 7 p.m.

The event, which kicks off the east coast branch of a college tour, is being presented by DreamSharee Edu-tainment, an education and entertainment firm, with the help of Hip Hop Caucus and Green U.

Attendees can enter to win a pair of tickets to the BSBG Concert featuring Trey Songz and Fabolous on April 16 as well as a meet and greet with Trey Songz followed by a green carpet VIP after party at Mansion.

“Going green is something everyone should be aware of globally,” DreamSharee Edu-tainment co-founder Marcus King said. “Our mission is to educate through entertainment.”

A panel of experts will speak about environmental awareness, including Academy Award winner Dale Bell, who will show a preview of his documentary Growing Greener Schools.  Apply Levy, founder of TheGreenGirls.com, will educate on how to share eco-friendly lifestyles with friends, including ideas for fun green trips.

“Engaging in green conversations and educating others, recycling, carrying your own water bottles instead of buying water in plastic bottles and unplugging electronics when they are not in use are just some of the ways that students can be a part of the solution,” TSharee Butler, Founder of  DreamSharee Edu-tainment, said.

White will show a piece of her film, Intelligent Life, winner of Best Film at the Activist Awards, and Rev. Lennox Yearwood Jr. will present the documentary Green Living and What We Can Do to Contribute to Living a Greener Life on behalf of the Hip Hop Caucus.

Other speakers will include City of Miami Beach Commissioner Jonah Wolfson, Stephanie Owens, Director of Public Engagement in the Office of the Administrator at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and UM alumnus Daniell Washington, 23, who started the Big Blue & You Foundation to educate young Floridians about taking care of our oceans.

“Students and youth are the leaders of tomorrow,” Butler said. “If we can educate our future leaders, we are educating everyone else.”

In addition to concert tickets, students will be able to participate in contests and raffles for eco-friendly prizes such as spa treatments, solar powered chargers and bags. The seminar will end with a question and answer session and an opportunity to meet the panelists at a book signing.

Nina Ruggiero

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Be Seen Being Green College Music Tour kicks off at UM”

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...