Perry sequel marries comedy and drama

The modern African-American Renaissance man himself, actor, director, playwright and author Tyler Perry, presents another classic, the sequel to his highly favored “Why Did I Get Married?,” “Why Did I Get Married Too?” The film hit theaters nationwide Friday.

Though it is one of only three Tyler Perry films in which his signature character Madea is not featured, it still remains true to Perry’s thematic incorporation of drama, humor and infinite love. Starring triple-threat icon Janet Jackson and Tyler Perry himself, “Why Did I Get Married Too?” reintroduces the same eight characters from the original on an annual getaway to revive their friendships and marriages.

During their Bahamas vacation, the one-week reunion proves to be more emotional than expected; as an ex-husband randomly appears to rekindle his failed relationship, indiscretions are revealed and an unforeseen announcement takes place (a possible split?). Nevertheless, the real drama doesn’t peak until the characters return to Atlanta, where the secrets come spilling out. From infidelity to finances and distrust, to passive communication, these four marriages highlight some of the most challenging and relative issues of modern marriages today.

Perry takes some risks on the emotional content displayed in the film, but besides the over-the-top performances, it essentially makes the movie. Tasha Smith, who plays the sassy Angela, keeps the punch lines rolling with her infamous portrayal of a deranged, distrustful wife, and three-time Grammy award winner Jill Scott captures the audience once again with her passionate performances of a formerly-abused wife. Not to mention the introduction of two legendary thespians of our time, Emmy Award winner Cicely Tyson and Oscar winner Louis Gossett Jr. In addition, Janet Jackson, who plays the character Patricia, recorded a soulful song for the “Why Did I Get Married Too?” soundtrack entitled “Nothing.”

Though the climax of this heart-wrenching film comes at the very end, Tyler Perry fans and newcomers alike won’t be disappointed. The dramatic events all lead up to some extraordinary surprises.

As each couple fights to save their relationship and keep an emotional balance amidst their re-occurring issues, Tyler Perry’s “Why Did I Get Married Too?” continues to reveal the scary realities and enduring promises necessary in making a good marriage work.

Jamie Stephens may be contacted at jstephens@themiamihurricane.com.

‘Why Did I Get Married Too?’

Release Date: April 2

Directed by: Tyler Perry

Starring: Michael Jai White, Tyler Perry, Janet Jackson, Tasha Smith, Louis Gossett Jr.

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...