Perry sequel marries comedy and drama

The modern African-American Renaissance man himself, actor, director, playwright and author Tyler Perry, presents another classic, the sequel to his highly favored “Why Did I Get Married?,” “Why Did I Get Married Too?” The film hit theaters nationwide Friday.

Though it is one of only three Tyler Perry films in which his signature character Madea is not featured, it still remains true to Perry’s thematic incorporation of drama, humor and infinite love. Starring triple-threat icon Janet Jackson and Tyler Perry himself, “Why Did I Get Married Too?” reintroduces the same eight characters from the original on an annual getaway to revive their friendships and marriages.

During their Bahamas vacation, the one-week reunion proves to be more emotional than expected; as an ex-husband randomly appears to rekindle his failed relationship, indiscretions are revealed and an unforeseen announcement takes place (a possible split?). Nevertheless, the real drama doesn’t peak until the characters return to Atlanta, where the secrets come spilling out. From infidelity to finances and distrust, to passive communication, these four marriages highlight some of the most challenging and relative issues of modern marriages today.

Perry takes some risks on the emotional content displayed in the film, but besides the over-the-top performances, it essentially makes the movie. Tasha Smith, who plays the sassy Angela, keeps the punch lines rolling with her infamous portrayal of a deranged, distrustful wife, and three-time Grammy award winner Jill Scott captures the audience once again with her passionate performances of a formerly-abused wife. Not to mention the introduction of two legendary thespians of our time, Emmy Award winner Cicely Tyson and Oscar winner Louis Gossett Jr. In addition, Janet Jackson, who plays the character Patricia, recorded a soulful song for the “Why Did I Get Married Too?” soundtrack entitled “Nothing.”

Though the climax of this heart-wrenching film comes at the very end, Tyler Perry fans and newcomers alike won’t be disappointed. The dramatic events all lead up to some extraordinary surprises.

As each couple fights to save their relationship and keep an emotional balance amidst their re-occurring issues, Tyler Perry’s “Why Did I Get Married Too?” continues to reveal the scary realities and enduring promises necessary in making a good marriage work.

Jamie Stephens may be contacted at jstephens@themiamihurricane.com.

‘Why Did I Get Married Too?’

Release Date: April 2

Directed by: Tyler Perry

Starring: Michael Jai White, Tyler Perry, Janet Jackson, Tasha Smith, Louis Gossett Jr.

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...