Tasty treats across the street

Sophomore Lane Carico adds toppings to her frozen yogurt while at My Yogurt Bliss. Like Carico, other UM students frequent the yogurt store where they get to serve themselves different flavors and toppings, which are all weighed before making the purchase. Brittney Bomnin//Photo Editor

If you’re looking for a light frozen treat after a long day of classes but are unwilling to pack on the pounds, opt for a healthier choice at self-serve frozen yogurt store, My Yogurt Bliss. Conveniently located across from UM on U.S. 1, My Yogurt Bliss treats guests to a buffet-style yogurt bar in which the flavors change daily and the toppings never cease to entice.

When you walk into the store, grab a 16-ounce container that you can fill with frozen yogurt, mixing and matching flavors and choosing any toppings you wish. The cost is determined by the weight of the container, priced at 48 cents an ounce.

My Yogurt Bliss offers an extensive number of selections in comparison to other local choices, like Yogen Früz and Yogurbella, and presents the opportunity to prepare your own dessert. It offers 10 different flavors, ranging from conventional choices such as vanilla or strawberry, to daring flavors such as cake batter or red velvet.

Topping selections are just as diverse with over 40 choices, including brownie and cheesecake pieces, cereal, candy, sprinkles, peanuts and hot fudge. Or one can enjoy a healthier treat, topping the dish with fresh fruit.

My Yogurt Bliss, which opened earlier this semester, is already a staple in many students’ routines.

“I go to My Yogurt Bliss at least once a week, although sometimes more,” junior Danielle Watkins said. “My favorite flavor is the original and I top mine with cheesecake, strawberries and blueberries.”

The seating is limited, but this doesn’t pose a problem as many yogurt-goers purchase and leave. However, around 7 p.m. each day, the line for yogurt stretches to the back door; it’s the busiest time of the night.

If you’re ready to experience the bliss, the shop is open from 11 a.m. until 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and until 12 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. Whether you prefer your yogurt sweet or tart, low in calories or loaded with sugar, My Yogurt Bliss has something for everyone.

Kelly Burns can be reached at kburns@themiamihurricane.com.

My Yogurt Bliss

Where: 1554 South Dixie Highway (on U.S. 1 across from UM, between Subway and the AT&T store)

hours of operation: Sun.- Thurs.: 11 a.m.- 11 p.m.; Fri. and Sat.: 11 a.m.- 12 a.m.

Cost: 48 cents an ounce

Kelly Burns

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...