Football

Another No. 26 that plays with viciousness

Ray Ray Armstrong during fall 09 season.

It’s not comparing apples to oranges. It’s more like a gem compared to a precious cut diamond.

Both of these players are equal in intensity and talent.

They both explode to the ball and play with a significant amount of aggressiveness. Both come with the toughness of a lion and an attitude of a gorilla.

Both have enough steelo and confidence to have an impact on every single play. To top it off, both have worn the No. 26 for the Miami Hurricanes.

One is freshman safety Ray Ray Armstrong. The other was the late great Sean Taylor, someone Armstrong truly idolizes.

“He was a player that I see myself as,” Armstrong said. “There is a lot about him that I see in my game. I go to ball for him.”

This fierce safety made a rumble around the Hurricane nation.

Under the bright lights at Sun Life Stadium against a perennial powerhouse in Oklahoma, Armstrong struck running back DeMarco Murray with viciousness on his defensive play. Armstrong hit him like a freight train and sent a wave of excitement throughout the stadium.

He recorded a career-high seven total tackles in that game.

In his first season, Armstrong collected 21 total tackles despite missing three games. In time, Armstrong will pick up his first collegiate interception and touchdown.

“He is a good kid,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “Very energetic. Ray Ray would keep talking if you wanted him to.”

Armstrong’s given name is Aravious, but he was nicknamed Ray Ray by his mother when he was young. Growing up in a family of athletes that have played sports their whole lives, Armstrong picked up sports at the age of six.

Ever since then, Armstrong has played his heart out, especially for his mother. Through football, Armstrong wants to be able to support his mom.

“She has been there for me and supporting me for my entire life,”  he said. “I feel like I owe it to her.”

At Sanford Seminole High, Armstrong won the 6A state championship; he was the quarterback and safety.

Seminole coach Mike Cullison called Armstrong the fiercest player he has ever laid his eyes on.

Armstrong has earned the same respect from his current Hurricane teammates.

“Ray Ray is my boy,” sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris said. “He’s someone I’ve known since he was in high school when he beat up on my high school. He’s just real close to me.”

Outside of class and football, Armstrong enjoys eating his beloved barbecue while spending time with his family.

“I love my family time,” he said. “I like to be around my family.”

This spring, Armstrong has been getting the majority of reps at safety. He is trying to improve on his own and as a member of the defensive unit.

“Last season, as a unit at the University of Miami it was not good,” Armstrong said. “Miami expects better, so next year we are trying to get better. For me, the biggest thing [I learned] is [if]you practice well and go hard you will get a lot of playing time.”

One tough thing Armstrong has learned is not to take any day for granted. Armstrong looks to his idol in this case.

“It’s almost like we play a kid’s game for a king’s ransom,” Taylor said in an interview in 2007. “If you don’t take it seriously enough, one day you’re going to say, ‘Oh, I could have did this, or I could have did that.’”

The Hurricanes continue to practice at Green Tree Field until the annual Spring game which takes place March 27.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Another No. 26 that plays with viciousness”

1. Burt Mordan says:

This is the kind of attitude that has made The U who they have been in the past. Attitude & commitment to hard work will bring a winning season. You can’t win without it. Maybe Ray Ray will help motivate the team to want to win. The past winning teams had it so can this one. Go Canes

2. JOHNNY says:

IT’S ALL ABOUT DA “U”.

3. Zack says:

By the way, Ray Ray is one of the most electric players on the field, but showed a lot of mistakes last year (expectable from a freshman). There is no limit to how good he can be once he polishes his game up.

4. Zack says:

toughness of a lion? attitudes of a gorilla? sounds like 2nd grade writing to me…other than that it was a good article.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...