UFirst sweeps runoff, takes presidential and treasurer seats

Juniors Christina Farmer and Valentina Lamas celebrate after hearing the news of UFirst ticket winning the SG elections. Cayla Nimmo // The Miami Hurricane

The U First ticket was reunited Wednesday evening as new president Christina Farmer and treasurer Nick Cote prevailed in the runoff election and joined their team’s vice president Valentina Lamas to complete the new Student Government executive board.

“We stayed positive, and that is the best way to win,” Farmer said.

The second round of elections received a slightly smaller turnout than the first, with 1,618 voters compared to last week’s 1,752.  Farmer won 65 percent of the vote, outdoing opponent Shahzain Malik of All For U 1,051 votes to 567 votes.

“We’ve been working so hard,” Farmer said, “and it really humbles you to know that the people think you are the best choice for president, that your team is the best choice.”

Malik, who hoped the international student votes would carry him to victory, would like to see some of his policies live on through Farmer.

“I had a wonderful experience in a different country,” Malik said, “and I’m very happy with all the international students’ support. I wish all the best to Christina Farmer and hope she does a good job, lives up to all the promises and takes some of mine as well.”

Nick Cote won 58 percent of the votes for treasurer, receiving 878 votes while Best U Ever Had’s Sabrina Bunch received 636.

“I’m excited that I get to work with the people I set out with in the beginning,” Cote said. “Once Valentina won I feel a lot of people really rallied behind me and Christina. It’s been a wild ride and I’m glad to know we have a lot of people behind us.”

Lamas, who secured her spot as vice president after the first round of elections, anxiously waited for the rest of her team to join her all week.

“I’m ecstatic,” she said. “We’ve been working together since October so we’re so happy to finally be able to work together officially.”

Student Government receives one full scholarship to distribute every year. Half goes to the student government president, one quarter goes to the vice president and the last quarter goes to the speaker of the Student Senate.

U First said this week would be a time to relax and celebrate, but starting next week they will be meeting with past executive board members and administrators to get a feel for their positions and start putting their plans into action.

“We are going to continue to reach out to students and to make student government an interactive process,” Farmer said.

Ninas Ruggiero may be contacted at nruggiero@themiamihurricane.com.

U First’s Major Platforms:

· Fresh farmer’s market

· Improvement of pre-professional tracks

· Food services- credit card use in kiosks, calories on menus, slushy machine in C-Store, 24 hour C-store during finals

· Student legal aide

· Textbook rental service

· Canes Nights- a chance to experience Miami on and off campus

· Improved parking- convenient parking service, discount carpool passes, wellness and apartment area all access lots

· Campus-wide access to software through the internet- SPSS, Adobe Photoshop and Final Cut

· UPlanner- sync your calendar with UM events of your choice

· Rent a Bike program

Nina Ruggiero

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team was unable to crack the top eight in th ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...