UFirst sweeps runoff, takes presidential and treasurer seats

Juniors Christina Farmer and Valentina Lamas celebrate after hearing the news of UFirst ticket winning the SG elections. Cayla Nimmo // The Miami Hurricane

The U First ticket was reunited Wednesday evening as new president Christina Farmer and treasurer Nick Cote prevailed in the runoff election and joined their team’s vice president Valentina Lamas to complete the new Student Government executive board.

“We stayed positive, and that is the best way to win,” Farmer said.

The second round of elections received a slightly smaller turnout than the first, with 1,618 voters compared to last week’s 1,752.  Farmer won 65 percent of the vote, outdoing opponent Shahzain Malik of All For U 1,051 votes to 567 votes.

“We’ve been working so hard,” Farmer said, “and it really humbles you to know that the people think you are the best choice for president, that your team is the best choice.”

Malik, who hoped the international student votes would carry him to victory, would like to see some of his policies live on through Farmer.

“I had a wonderful experience in a different country,” Malik said, “and I’m very happy with all the international students’ support. I wish all the best to Christina Farmer and hope she does a good job, lives up to all the promises and takes some of mine as well.”

Nick Cote won 58 percent of the votes for treasurer, receiving 878 votes while Best U Ever Had’s Sabrina Bunch received 636.

“I’m excited that I get to work with the people I set out with in the beginning,” Cote said. “Once Valentina won I feel a lot of people really rallied behind me and Christina. It’s been a wild ride and I’m glad to know we have a lot of people behind us.”

Lamas, who secured her spot as vice president after the first round of elections, anxiously waited for the rest of her team to join her all week.

“I’m ecstatic,” she said. “We’ve been working together since October so we’re so happy to finally be able to work together officially.”

Student Government receives one full scholarship to distribute every year. Half goes to the student government president, one quarter goes to the vice president and the last quarter goes to the speaker of the Student Senate.

U First said this week would be a time to relax and celebrate, but starting next week they will be meeting with past executive board members and administrators to get a feel for their positions and start putting their plans into action.

“We are going to continue to reach out to students and to make student government an interactive process,” Farmer said.

Ninas Ruggiero may be contacted at

U First’s Major Platforms:

· Fresh farmer’s market

· Improvement of pre-professional tracks

· Food services- credit card use in kiosks, calories on menus, slushy machine in C-Store, 24 hour C-store during finals

· Student legal aide

· Textbook rental service

· Canes Nights- a chance to experience Miami on and off campus

· Improved parking- convenient parking service, discount carpool passes, wellness and apartment area all access lots

· Campus-wide access to software through the internet- SPSS, Adobe Photoshop and Final Cut

· UPlanner- sync your calendar with UM events of your choice

· Rent a Bike program

Nina Ruggiero

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

Junior Dewi Weber will become the first University of Miami golfer to compete in the Arnold Palmer C ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...