Black Awareness Month fashion show a success

One of the most anticipated events of the University of Miami’s Black History Month celebrations, this year’s Black Awareness Month (BAM) Fashion Show did not disappoint supporters last Friday night, Feb. 26,  when it came time to hit the runway. Entitled “Insomni-Chic: Fashion Never Sleeps,” the show was hosted by radio-personality and BET Comic View comedian Benji Brown. Featuring some of Miami’s hottest fashions with all proceeds went toward the Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Miami charity.

Promptly at 7 p.m. sharp, as the spectators began to crowd the University Center patio, (commonly known as “The Rock”), the spotlight illuminated the stage as the music blasted. The models surfaced with enough bold attitude and high energy to keep the audience alert.  As the last event of Black Awareness Month this year’s show presented a diverse range of fashion genres ranging from Harajuku, to Urban street-wear, to Rodeo Drive Glam.

Though the BAM fashion show offered a taste of some of the hottest boutiques in Miami, the showcase wasn’t all about the glitz and glam. The event represented a greater message, which was conveyed not only in the raffle proceeds donated to Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Miami, but also in the underlying message of recognizing Black Awareness Month.

Kelechi Onyejiaka, a sophomore BAM committee member and model expressed her experience gained from the BAM fashion show.

“I wanted the show to represent Black culture and the various fashion styles of Black Americans,” Onyejiaka said. “Overall, I’m happy the UM community was able to witness this cultural unity because we worked and practiced so hard for so many late nights to ensure that the show was near perfect. In the end, I was so proud of the work that the BAM committee was able to put on and I can’t wait for next year’s show”.

The 2010 BAM fashion remains one of the most talked about spring events on campus.

“My expectations were high,” freshman, model Tequila Graham said. “However the outcome of the fashion show was exceedingly overwhelming! As a freshman participant, this fashion show taught me the true value of being apart of a great program which focused on style as well as cultural awareness.”

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...