“SOS” concert benefitting Haiti opened eyes and hearts

Lights, camera, action! Celebrity event hosts “Diddy Combs,” Queen Latifah and Pharrell Williams brought the house down Saturday, Feb. 6, as they presented BET network’s nationally-televised concert and celebrity telethon for Haiti relief organizations.

Held in the American Airlines Arena, the two-hour telecast entitled “SOS Saving OurSelves- Help for Haiti” sold concert tickets as inexpensive as $20 a seat. All proceeds went directly to Haiti’s earthquake-support charities, such as CARE and Project Medishare.

Thousands of young people tuned in and came out to American Airlines Arena to show their love and support for the lives that were lost, as well as for the families that are still struggling in Haiti. Not to mention, Super Bowl weekend was perfect timing to host an event such as this because there were many visitors in town; also, the highest percentage of Haitian-Americans in the nation live in the South Florida area.

The concert included performances and appearances from Busta Rhymes, Mary J. Blige, Gloria Estefan, LL Cool J, Ludacris, Keri Hilson, Justin Bieber, Wyclef, India Arie, Spike Lee and even the infamous Chris Brown. The show inspired and entertained the hearts of many fans and supporters, especially the Haitians whose families were lost and are struggling in the chaos back home in Port au Prince.

“I’m glad I was able to participate in not just donating, but getting the opportunity to see some of my favorite artists so inexpensively and, not to mention, close to home,” senior Haitian-American Melinda Jeudi said. “I told all of my friends to buy tickets because the proceeds went to straight to Haiti-relief charities and they all came.”

Junior Shy Adenikinju also felt the concert had an important purpose.

“Even though I’m not of Haitian descent, I am touched by the tremendous support of the thousands of fans, celebrities, and charitable organizations,” Adenikinju said. “They’ve shown so much compassion for Haiti and it just shows that third-world countries do have a chance to flourish with helping hands…I’m content knowing that we are still willing to save one another in times of great need.”

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To ““SOS” concert benefitting Haiti opened eyes and hearts”

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...