Love don’t cost a thing

Albert Einstein once said “gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.” Though this may very well be true, every Feb. 14 it’s as if cupid’s raindrops hail from the sky and pour down a flood of love-struck hysteria on all of mankind.

Valentine’s Day, one of the most hated yet beloved holidays in the world, is infamous for leaving lovers lost and confused. Nevertheless, that doesn’t stop millions of people from running out and spending their last dimes on that special valentine.

Fortunately, this February, fear not. When in doubt, always remember ladies first, and be unique! For instance, red roses and chocolates are somewhat typical and traditional, unless you two are still getting to know one another. For more veteran and experienced duos, dinner (like a moonlight beach picnic) and a movie will never really go out of style. Simple but big gestures also play a major role on a Valentine’s date including: soft romantic music (perhaps a favorite song), opening doors, genuine compliments and an “I love you” here and there is always a nice touch.

Jamie Stephens may be contacted at jstephen@themiamihurricane.com.

#########

INFO BOX:

Gift Guide
Define Your Valentine:
What do those gifts say about your sweetie?

• Chocolates and roses: Traditional (Price Range: $5-30)
  • Movie/Concert/Sports event: Casual yet Fun (Price Range: $20-50)
  • Cologne or Perfume: Sweet yet Sensual (Price Range: $40-80)
  • Lingerie or Boxers: Intimate (Price Range: $20-50)
  • Dinner and/or Beach date: Romantic (Price Range: $40-60)
  • Jewelry (necklaces, watches, etc.): Committed (Price Range: $40-100)

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

One by one, they stepped up to the scale. First-round picks and long-shot prospects alike. Here, the ...

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

Miami Northwestern senior Nigel Bethel, a 5-11, 160-pounder who chose the Hurricanes over Central Fl ...

The University of Louisville coaching staff must have been puzzled watching tape of the Miami Hurric ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Miami men's basketball team returns home at 8 p.m. Wednesday to battle Louisville at the so ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team has earned the first ACC Player of the ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on fourth-ranked Louisville Thursday at 11 a.m., on ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...