Concert to benefit Haiti

Wondering where to take your significant other this Valentine’s Day? Looking for some way to help the Haiti relief effort?
On Feb. 14, the BankUnited Center will welcome the “One Love for Haiti” concert, a benefit relief event that will have a slew of Caribbean and Haitian musicians.
The confirmed lineup for the concert will include Melky Jean, Inner Circle, Cornelius MD, Sweet Micky, Frankie Paul, Screwdriver, 4th Dimension, Alana Decosta, Jimmy Jean-Louis, R&B Sensation, Mawaon, The Collaboration, Wayne Wade, T-Vice and King Yellowman.
Patrick L. McGrew, the general manager for the BUC, said that the list is going to grow.
In terms of proceeds, 100 percent will benefit the Haitian people. Tickets are $25.
“The goal for the event is to have no administrative process or overhead fee,” McGrew said.
Junior Lisandro Frankie believes that even the least amount of money can have the greatest effect for help in Haiti.
“Even if you donate $25, the full $25 will go to Haiti and not get lost in the transaction,” he said.
The performers will be donating their time onstage for free.
In the BUC’s outer rim, the Haitian Student Organization (HSO) will be running two concession stands as well as selling their t-shirts. Students are encouraged to fill out an online form to volunteer for the night.
“At this point, we’re happy to be involved at continuing our relief efforts,” said Sherlley Sanon, president of HSO.
McGrew hopes to raise up to a quarter of a million dollars from the concert.
“We have a lot of people coming to the table to do something great,” he said.

Andrea Concepcion may be contacted at aconcepcion@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrea Concepcion

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...