Volunteers donate their time packaging goods for Haiti

Peggy Laguerre a University of Miami Senior in psycology and Esther Mathurin a University of Miami Junior in the nursing program sort donations of food and supplies that will be sent to the survivors of Haiti's earthquake. The United Way partnered with Miami-Dade county to bring in volunteers to help sort through the donations.

Outside of a warehouse in the city of Doral, UM senior, Peggy Laguerre stood in front of a mountain of packages, bags and suitcases filled with donations for Haiti from toiletries to toys to spoons. On Saturday, volunteer supervisors told Laguerre and 43 other students they needed to hurry up before the rain set in. If the rain came the items would be ruined and thrown away.

“I felt intimidated,” she said. “The thought of all that stuff going into the trash was a horrible thought. All that effort to gather [the donations]would be in vain.”

The student volunteers quickly had to sort and package the donations. Laguerre got a box, looked at the massive pile, then up at the sky.

“Okay, let’s get to it,” she thought.

Laguerre and the students worked within only an hour and a half to reduce the pile to nothing.

“At the end of the day, I can’t believe we went through this whole thing,” said Sherlley Sanon, president of the Haitian Student Organization (HSO).

HSO, together with Butler Center for Service and Leadership, has provided volunteer opportunities for students at the United Way warehouse for Haitian relief efforts.

After the earthquake hit, United Way called Keith Fletcher, Director of the Butler Center, asking for volunteers. Claire Heckerman, student volunteer coordinator for Haiti relief said that students could go whenever they want- she would personally provide them with directions and details on what to expect. All students have to do is call the Butler Center.

Peggy Laguerre had taken two hours of her Wednesdays to devote to the warehouse. She was motivated to stop feeling depressed and start taking action.

“I’ll put enough effort I can for the time I’m there,” she said.

Local churches, firehouses, libraries and community centers had donations they sent to the warehouse, which was separated, packaged, boxed, wrapped and put into crates. The crates were hauled off by forklifts into semi-trucks which transported the items to the facility in Homestead where planes flew to Haiti.

When junior HSO member Rosandra Walker went to the warehouse, a lot went through her mind. She saw what her organization was doing as a bittersweet moment.

“Wow, it had come to this for us to finally take notice,” she said. “Though, it really impressed me that people who did not have any connection to Haiti came to volunteer.”

HSO held a meeting last Wednesday with one representative from each student organization to discuss ways to help out with Haiti relief. Student organizations and HSO will be linked by a fundraising campaign and donation drive, coordinated through the Butler Center.

Fundraising will include t-shirts and baked sales. As of Wednesday, t-shirts with various words of encouragement such as “unity”, “solidarity” and “strength” are being sold in the Butler Center, located in UC 240. Organizations can sign up o help sell baked goods in the UC Breezeway for Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Additionally, several Greek organizations have already initiated relief programming for Haiti. This Saturday, the Sigma Chi fraternity will be hosting a shoe drive on the intramural fields, along with a walk in which participants will walk barefoot. The idea, according to brother Nathan Feldhaker, is to “walk in their shoes.”

“We’re asking student organizations to incorporate Haiti relief to their ongoing or future events,” HSO president Sanon said.

For the donation drive, designated donation carts will be around campus. On the weekend, student organizations can separate and wrap donations to be shipped to the United Way warehouse.

The Butler Center will put a list of volunteer opportunities within the community on the Butler Center and Canes Helping Haiti website, which will launch in February.

With students settling into classes, freshmen not having cars and many unaware of volunteer opportunities, the number of students at the warehouse on weekdays may dwindle.

“As time goes on, you never know the level of response to things,” Laguerre said. “I’m not sure what to expect.”

Andrea Concepcion

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...