Basketball

Canes fall to the VT Hokies

Sophomore forward Sylvia Bullock gets above Virginia Tech defenders to shoot.Matt Wallach // The Miami Hurricane

The Hurricanes women’s basketball team just had one of those cold shooting days.

It seemed like nothing could fall in the basket in the second half for the Canes. They couldn’t overcome their poor shooting performance and they lost to the Virginia Tech Hokies, 73-69.

“We didn’t execute,” head coach Katie Meier said. “Down the stretch we couldn’t get it. I don’t know what it was besides shooting. We lacked energy. We cannot just turn it off and on like that. That was not ACC basketball for us.”

Miami was simply cold in the second half. The Hurricanes (14-5, 2-3) shot 29 percent and only hit two three-pointers for the entire game which was unlikely for the Hurricanes as they lead the ACC in three-pointers made.

Virginia Tech (12-7, 2-3) shot 55 percent in the second half and sophomore guard Nikki Davis had a career high 29 points.

Sophomore guards Riquna Williams and Shenise Johnson were not in rhythm against the Hokies. Williams finished with 15 points but on 4-17 shooting. Johnson ended with 18 points but both Williams and Johnson combined for five points in the first half.

“They are great scorers but they are better basketball players,” Meier said. “If they think they can just be scorers then we won’t win games. We need them to execute as a basketball player.”

The Hurricanes had a 35-29 halftime lead against the Hokies due to senior forward Diane Barnes crashing hard on offense with 10 points at the break. With the profilic scorers held in check, Meier was confident the Hurricanes still could win.

“We can win games without Williams and Johnson scoring,” Meier said. “We proved that in the first half but we can not lack energy in the second half.”

Despite the loss, the Hurricanes already surpassed their win total from last season. In each of the last three seasons, the Lady Canes have only won two ACC games per year.

“We have to keep moving forward. The ACC is tough,” Meier said. “We have to get back to playing ACC ball.

Last Thursday, the Hurricanes snapped Maryland’s 48-game home winning streak, 80-77. The streak was the second longest active streak in the nation, behind Connecticut’s.

“We absolutely know what kind of program this is, and we have a ton of respect for that home winning streak,” Meier said. “I’m honored that we were the team that snapped it.”

Williams knocked down two 3-pointers in the final minute, one beyond NBA range to tie it 77-77 and eventually nailing the game-winner with 2.4 seconds left. Williams finished with 19 points and Johnson added 17 points.

Up next the Canes travel to Atlanta, Ga. to face Georgia Tech (16-5, 2-3) Wednesday at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 90.5 FM WVUM.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Canes fall to the VT Hokies”

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...