Sitting down with Michael Chabon

Author Michael Chabon presented his work at Books and Books. Photo by merkley

Author Michael Chabon presented his work at Books and Books. Photo by merkley???

Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Michael Chabon made the last stop on his junket tour last Friday at Books and Books in Coral Gables. The readings promoted his new collection of essays, entitled Manhood for Amateurs. Afterward, Chabon sat down with The Miami Hurricane to discuss living in hotels, new movies and the concept of a legacy.

The Miami Hurricane:  As a writer, how do you feel about having to sell your work on these nationwide press tours?

Michael Chabon: I’ve been doing this for 21 years now. I’ve probably been on 12 or 14 book tours. I like the reading. I like staying in hotels.

TMH: Why did you reject People’s inclusion of you in their “50 Most Beautiful People” edition, as opposed to the Pulitzer?

MC: That’s not even an award. I declined the honor. (On literary awards) There aren’t that many of them and they’re not that glitzy.

TMH: Which of your works are you the most proud of?

MC: I might be proud of different works for different reasons. I had a really strict deadline for Gentlemen of the Road. As for The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, it was hard to write, big and long.

TMH:  Talk about the relationship you have with author (and co-writer of the Where the Wild Things Are movie) Dave Eggers.

MC: We’ve been friends for eight years. He’s my hero; he makes things happen. Dave actually acts on his ideas. He is the straw that stirs the drink.

TMH: What’s next for you?

MC: I’m rewriting the new Captain Nemo movie. (He also has a new novel in the works.) It’s called Telegraph Avenue. It’s set in contemporary Berkeley and Oakland. Sort of a family story, I guess.

TMH: Do you resent the perception of you as a Jewish writer?

MC: On the contrary, I embrace it wholeheartedly as long as it is not the only label.

TMH: Who are some new writing faces that college kids would like and which writers (dead or alive) would you like to have ?

MC: Kelly Link, Alexander Hemon

TMH: Dinner guest list?

MC: Groucho Marx, Nikola Tesla, Errol Flynn, Franz Liszt, Madame de Pompadour.

TMH: What do you want your legacy to be?

MC: I have no idea. I do not think about that question. I’m focused on the here and now, raising my kids, try to do a little to make the world a better place. You can’t enjoy a legacy.

Ben Cathey

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...