Our Opinion: A revolt of silence

The University of Miami has a problem: a talking problem. But more specifically, a “I love the sound of my own voice” problem. Now, I’m sure some of these compulsive speakers have beautiful voices and a plethora of important information to bestow upon us all. We just have yet to meet one of them.

For example, at a Committee on Student Organizations (C.O.S.O.) “S.O.S. Workshop,” all sorts of UM officials discussed in length each possible, minuscule, pointless detail of every ridiculous, unlikely to occur, circumstance a student organization could encounter.

Some of their points might have had relevance to the leaders sitting in the room. However, they were lost among trivial chatter about car rentals, and the difference between car pooling and driving to an organization’s event on your own. Not one of the speakers could use one concise, pertinent example to clarify a point in their presentation on risk management, business services or purchasing. Instead, they used five rambling anecdotes that raised more questions rather than providing answers.

This frustrating issue is not limited to never-ending speakers. Everyone has suffered through a situation with a professor, RA, or even fellow student who just won’t shut up.

So, we have a proposition: let’s lead a revolt, a revolt of silence. Encourage those talkaholics to discover the miracle of email, the art of PowerPoint or just the possibility that their speech isn’t really that important. And if it is, it can more than likely be found on the internet.

So sssshhh Miami, you’re giving me a headache.

Have you encountered people at Miami who just never stop talking?

• Unfortunately, yes. (77%, 41 Votes)
  • Unsure. (13%, 7 Votes)
  • No. (9%, 5 Votes)

Total Voters: 53

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...