Breaking the mold with On a Square

Courtesy of Lila Albizu

Courtesy of Lila Albizu

Welcome back to the 1960s. Miami finally has an old-school band worthy enough to blend the impeccable tunes from the psychedelic era with modern music.

The positively archaic group, On A Square, features the quirky pop tunes sung by The Beatles and The Beach Boys. Although these melodies reside outside of today’s popular music scene—which is mostly dominated by rock and technological beats—On A Square makes the outcasts that much cooler.

The Miami triplet consists of lead singer and guitarist Aneil Maharaj, pianist Andres Ramos and drummer Brandon Fulton. Their musical influences are, not surprisingly, The Beatles and The Beach Boys, but also jam bands and Broadway plays.

Ramos describes the band’s influences as “anything that is melodic.”

Maharaj’s tender, lighthearted vocals blend ideally with the bouncy, upbeat sounds of the instruments. The harmonizing voices of the members make each track more groovy.

One of their tracks, “Forgotten Melody,” which can be found on their Myspace page, displays the band’s ability to create a song that, at first listen, appears to be simply fun, but underneath it has intricate jingles and perfectly tuned harmonies.

“They haven’t given into the idea of conforming…They stay true to what they want to do as musicians,” said junior Lindsey Stahley.

On A Square is not interested in making the repetitive music that is heard too often on the radio. Rather, they create tracks that tell a multi-faceted story.

“We have been great at not scoring a hit,” Ramos joked.

The band stays clear of creating the typical pattern of modern music that follows the order of verse-chorus-verse. With catchy licks and unique song structure, On a Square cracks the musical mold of Miami.

“People will be happy to receive a breath of fresh air,” Ramos said.

If You Go

Who: On a Square

Where: Buck 15

When: Sunday, Oct. 11 8:30 p.m.

Cost: FREE

Lonnie Nemiroff

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...