Breaking the mold with On a Square

Courtesy of Lila Albizu

Courtesy of Lila Albizu

Welcome back to the 1960s. Miami finally has an old-school band worthy enough to blend the impeccable tunes from the psychedelic era with modern music.

The positively archaic group, On A Square, features the quirky pop tunes sung by The Beatles and The Beach Boys. Although these melodies reside outside of today’s popular music scene—which is mostly dominated by rock and technological beats—On A Square makes the outcasts that much cooler.

The Miami triplet consists of lead singer and guitarist Aneil Maharaj, pianist Andres Ramos and drummer Brandon Fulton. Their musical influences are, not surprisingly, The Beatles and The Beach Boys, but also jam bands and Broadway plays.

Ramos describes the band’s influences as “anything that is melodic.”

Maharaj’s tender, lighthearted vocals blend ideally with the bouncy, upbeat sounds of the instruments. The harmonizing voices of the members make each track more groovy.

One of their tracks, “Forgotten Melody,” which can be found on their Myspace page, displays the band’s ability to create a song that, at first listen, appears to be simply fun, but underneath it has intricate jingles and perfectly tuned harmonies.

“They haven’t given into the idea of conforming…They stay true to what they want to do as musicians,” said junior Lindsey Stahley.

On A Square is not interested in making the repetitive music that is heard too often on the radio. Rather, they create tracks that tell a multi-faceted story.

“We have been great at not scoring a hit,” Ramos joked.

The band stays clear of creating the typical pattern of modern music that follows the order of verse-chorus-verse. With catchy licks and unique song structure, On a Square cracks the musical mold of Miami.

“People will be happy to receive a breath of fresh air,” Ramos said.

If You Go

Who: On a Square

Where: Buck 15

When: Sunday, Oct. 11 8:30 p.m.

Cost: FREE

About Author

Lonnie Nemiroff Contributing News Writer

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...