Our Opinion: Club Richter midterm etiquette

With midterm exams rapidly approaching, one of the most glaring issues on campus is that of library etiquette. It’s important that students remember to respect others during their time at the Otto G. Richter Library, affectionately known as Club Richter.

The first floor of the library is generally accepted as a place where talking is permitted. However, that doesn’t excuse the packs of friends who arrange their chairs in the reading area and audibly catch up. Just because it’s called Club Richter doesn’t mean it’s acceptable to have a gossip session within its confines.

Even more offensive are the talkers on the second floor, where just breathing too loudly can be met with shushes and glares. Still, many students find it acceptable to have loud study sessions at the tables.

Taking a phone call, even in a whispered tone, is perhaps the worst offense of all. You are disturbing other students who are trying to study. Just go into the stairwell, where phone conversations are acceptable.

Undoubtedly these library faux pas can leave students who are seeking silence frustrated. However, anger should not be taken out on library workers, who try hard to ensure silence as they work.

But workers can’t control every source of noise. Trucks rumble, books fall and shelves echo. Get used to it. And don’t harass a worker for not being able to find a book. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. If you complain that workers are making too much noise, they can’t do their job properly.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

What do you think about library etiquette? Answer our poll on the right-hand sidebar of themiamihurricane.com homepage!

Do you find Club Richter faux pas annoying?

• Absolutely, talkers on the second floor drive me crazy! (73%, 30 Votes)
  • No, complainers should just get over themselves. (17%, 7 Votes)
  • Unsure...I've never even been to the library. (10%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 41

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...