Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Avoid H1N1 with common sense

As a Personal Trainer at the Wellness Center and a senior majoring in Exercise Physiology, I would just like to express my concern for the overall health of the University community.

With reports of H1N1 spreading throughout the South Florida region, I think it is important to provide some basic knowledge that could help prevent more cases as well as improve the wellbeing of our community here at UM. As a student myself, I know how much the social aspect of college seems to overshadow some other parts of our lives… ahem, school.

Of course students are going to go to the Grove on Thursdays, and drink and sing Journey songs until their faces hurt. This is not the problem. The real issue is moderation. Instead of drinking as many pitchers at Tavern as possible, we can limit our alcohol intake to still “have a good time” and not have the dire effects to our health and immune system.

Consuming large amounts of alcohol dramatically decreases immune function as well as puts us at risk for picking up even the most common of bugs. Pair this depressed immunity and having class the next day (if you make it of course) in a room with 150 other students, and you have a veritable “hot zone” for the spread of air-borne illnesses.

It is paramount that we try and get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, exercise in some form most days of the week, and eat healthier. Not only will we look, feel, and work that much better, but we can try and thwart the spread of this very determined virus and better ourselves all in one push.

So talk to your friends, roommates, and classmates and plan out a healthier lifestyle together, even if you’re just making small changes. Start shopping on the perimeter of the supermarket where the fresh and unprocessed vegetables and meats are. Go to the Wellness Center and join a free fitness class ranging from kick boxing to belly dancing. Maybe don’t go out drinking one night of the week you usually would and participate in one of the free on-campus activities like salsa dancing or a movie at the Cosford. Just remember if you don’t have your health, you don’t have anything.

– Jeremy Albelda, Senior, J.albelda@umiami.edu

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: Avoid H1N1 with common sense”

1. g says:

Why doesn’t the UM community do something like donate all of its vaccine to the poor people of Haiti living in a quasi concentration camp setting? At least we students have access to tamiflu or relenza to treat the flu unlike Haitians & we are surrounded by hand sanitizer machines which shoudl quell the spread somewhat. Why not make a bold statement and do w/o the vaccine like so many people around the world will have to do and give it unto others. Why do we need to keep hoggin everything acting as if our lives in coral gables are so much more important? Americans are so overstocked with so many things where its all about me me me. Why does UM receive all this vaccine before our university brethren in Haiti? It’s actually kinda sick when you start thinking about it.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...