Bomb squad legend dies at 78

Major Greg Terp of the Miami-Dade Police Department was working downtown when a sharp black Firebird rolled up to the curb in front of him, the license plate reading “Boom Boom.”

Terp, a rookie at the time, wondered aloud who was behind the wheel.

“That’s Brodie the bomb guy,” the other officers said, their eyes reverently following the bomb squad legend as he approached.

This wasn’t the last time Terp would hear the name Thomas Graham Brodie.

When he attended Hazardous Devices School in Huntsville, Ala., in 1982 he found that Brodie’s sphere of influence went beyond South Florida.

“As soon as people heard I was from Miami-Dade they’d ask me if I knew Tom Brodie,” Terp said. “They called him the father of the modern day bomb squad.”

Brodie served in the Miami-Dade Police Department from 1955 to 1983 after graduating from the University of Miami.

“He was a die-hard Miami Hurricane fan,” Steve Brodie, a lieutenant in the Miami-Dade Fire Department, said of his father who recently died at the age of 78 from complications related to Parkinson’s. “He never let us leave a football game before it was over, win or lose.”

The connection to the university did not end at sporting events. In April 1969, he investigated a pipe bomb that was set off in a dean’s office and dismantled a hazardous device found in student housing.

After just eight years with the Miami-Dade Police Department, Brodie became its youngest captain. He fearlessly worked hands-on with explosives, dismantling them with make-shift tools such as ballpoint pens or string.

Brodie once used a lawn mower and metal shield with two poles attached to it to ride onto a device to dismantle it.

Today the Miami-Dade Police Department has forklift-like machines strong enough to lift cars and trucks equipped with bomb-disposal chambers based on Brodie’s inventions.

He was also one of the driving forces for the creation of Hazardous Devices School, which trains bomb experts from around the country to safely disarm explosives.

Brodie died on Aug. 13. He leaves behind three children, six grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. Donations can be made in his memory to the Police Officers Assistance Trust, 1030 NW 111 Ave. Suite 232, Miami, FL 33172.

Nina Ruggiero

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...