Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Rape article extremely misleading

I write to strongly object to an editorial decision about a news item on page 2 of the September 10 Hurricane.

The Headline reads:  “Study: many women have ‘rape fantasies.’ ”

The lead reads:  “Females find pleasure in the forbidden.”

When one reads the entire article, it is not until the 6th full paragraph that the misleading and dangerously misrepresented reality of the headline is uncovered, but by then many people who would like to use this myth to justify violence against women have stopped reading.

Quoting from the 6th paragraph, “In truth, most of what falls under this category of fantasy is far from corresponding to what we call ‘rape’ in real life.”  And then much later, in the very last sentence of the article: “Such fantasies, of course, are very far from what a rape experience is like; the reality of rape is not viewed erotically by women.”

I’m sorry – that last sentence is too little too late.

Perhaps Irene Daboin or her editor was not astute enough to read the literature on rape, or not old enough or experienced enough to have felt the deep pain upon reading about, or witnessing, a judge let a rapist go without punishment because “the woman must have been asking for it by the way she was dressed,” or with the extreme fabrication that “we all know that women really mean yes when they say no.

Rape is not an act of love or erotic pleasure.  Rape is an act of violence and anger.

To perpetuate such a dangerous myth with your article as it is presented is an extreme and dangerous injustice to women and men alike.

-Dr. Carol M. Davis, Department of Physical Therapy, Miller School of Medicine

Editor’s Note: The headline for this story was chosen by editors, not by the author. Also, an anecdotal lead was cut from the beginning of the story.

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...