Our Opinion: “Buzzin” iPhone app dangerous

“Buzzin,” a new iPhone application created by Minot Applications, could put drivers nationwide at risk. Using GPS and Google Map technology, it provides users with detailed reports and exact locations of DUI checkpoints within a 20-mile radius.  The application also generates lists of nearby cab companies, based on the user’s location. “Buzzin” is currently undergoing Apple’s testing and approval process.

Minot Applications claims their product will help to prevent drunk driving by deterring consumers with information about nearby DUI checkpoints. However, in reality, this program will have the opposite effect.

Listing the exact location of a DUI checkpoint on an interactive map would simply provide users with alternate routes to avoid it. If a user was already determined to drive drunk, seeing a checkpoint appear on their iPhone would not stop them. The promotion of drunk driving is inherently implied in “Buzzin.”

The only beneficial aspect of this application is the cab-listing feature, though it will go unused by the “Buzzin’s” target audience. Users will not feel the need to call a taxi, and will drive regardless. In other circumstances a listing of nearby cab companies would be helpful, especially for students without cars on campus.  However, within “Buzzin,” it mainly serves as a guise for an application promoting recklessness.

Though “Buzzin” is not illegal, it provides a service to an undeserving demographic.  Drunk driving should not be made more convenient.  Instead of reducing the number of inebriated drivers, “Buzzin” could actually cause an increase, leading to potential accidents and dangerous conditions.

Hopefully Apple does not approve this inappropriate application. If sold in the iTunes store, Apple could not only damage their reputation but also put their customers at great risk. This irresponsible application should be banned.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

What do you think about “Buzzin”? Answer our poll on the right-hand sidebar of themiamihurricane.com homepage!

What do you about the "Buzzin" iPhone application?

• Awesome, I would totally use it! (46%, 23 Votes)
  • Dangerous and shouldn't be approved by Apple. (44%, 22 Votes)
  • Unsure. (10%, 5 Votes)

Total Voters: 50

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...