Our Opinion: “Buzzin” iPhone app dangerous

“Buzzin,” a new iPhone application created by Minot Applications, could put drivers nationwide at risk. Using GPS and Google Map technology, it provides users with detailed reports and exact locations of DUI checkpoints within a 20-mile radius.  The application also generates lists of nearby cab companies, based on the user’s location. “Buzzin” is currently undergoing Apple’s testing and approval process.

Minot Applications claims their product will help to prevent drunk driving by deterring consumers with information about nearby DUI checkpoints. However, in reality, this program will have the opposite effect.

Listing the exact location of a DUI checkpoint on an interactive map would simply provide users with alternate routes to avoid it. If a user was already determined to drive drunk, seeing a checkpoint appear on their iPhone would not stop them. The promotion of drunk driving is inherently implied in “Buzzin.”

The only beneficial aspect of this application is the cab-listing feature, though it will go unused by the “Buzzin’s” target audience. Users will not feel the need to call a taxi, and will drive regardless. In other circumstances a listing of nearby cab companies would be helpful, especially for students without cars on campus.  However, within “Buzzin,” it mainly serves as a guise for an application promoting recklessness.

Though “Buzzin” is not illegal, it provides a service to an undeserving demographic.  Drunk driving should not be made more convenient.  Instead of reducing the number of inebriated drivers, “Buzzin” could actually cause an increase, leading to potential accidents and dangerous conditions.

Hopefully Apple does not approve this inappropriate application. If sold in the iTunes store, Apple could not only damage their reputation but also put their customers at great risk. This irresponsible application should be banned.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

What do you think about “Buzzin”? Answer our poll on the right-hand sidebar of themiamihurricane.com homepage!

What do you about the "Buzzin" iPhone application?

• Awesome, I would totally use it! (46%, 23 Votes)
  • Dangerous and shouldn't be approved by Apple. (44%, 22 Votes)
  • Unsure. (10%, 5 Votes)

Total Voters: 50

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Our Opinion: “Buzzin” iPhone app dangerous”

1. a mom says:

I can see the writers point of view, but instead of looking at the negative side of this application, perhaps the “dad” could see that perhaps the person/s are trying to find an incentive for young and old drivers to not drink and drive. If I knew there was a DUI checkpoint going on in my community, it would serve as a deterrent to not drive and find an alternate form of transportation home. I would realize that there is no good way of driving home after drinking, to assume the authorities are not aware of alternate routes around a DUI checkpoint is naive. Do you not realize that the minute a young person sees a checkpoint they are not texting and phoning all their friends to inform them? Instead of negating this attempt at trying to help get drunk drivers off the road, why dont you send them some suggestions to help fine tune this attempt at a very worthy and honorable solution to help save lives.

2. crucialtext says:

Receive Text messages (SMS) alerts when upcoming sobriety checkpoints occur in any given area of the United States. sign up by going to crucialtext.com or by Sending a text message to 41411 with the message “ crucialtext subscribe city state county”

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...