New Indian frat fixes and donates computers

A University of Miami Southern Asian fraternity aims to set an example for others through philanthropy and academia.

Members of Delta Epsilon Psi have a minimum grade point average of 3.0. They voluntarily seek, repair and donate old computers to underprivileged countries through a program called Project PC Hookup.

“I was given so many opportunities,” said Ashish Shah, a junior and founding member. “Here in the US we have so many resources. By giving my time somehow, someway we can make things happen.”

Last Spring, two members of the fraternity traveled along with students from UM’s Medical School to Haiti through Project Medishare, a nonprofit organization aimed at providing vaccines, screen tests and other health care needs to underprivileged nations.

Instead of carry-on luggage, they brought on board four newly repaired computers that would serve Haitian health care workers.

This academic year, the seven-member fraternity wants to donate at least 25 computers to help Project Medishare set up a classroom in Haiti for children.

“Our goal is to expand service and take it to a level organizations in our school haven’t seen,” Swapnil Patel, a junior and the fraternity’s president, said.

Delta Epsilon Psi partnered with another nonprofit organization that collects old computers from hospitals.

Along with the help of a computer savvy fraternity brother, junior Emmanuel Berchmans, the members spend four to five hours a week fixing the modems.

One of the challenges the project faces this year is finding 25 monitors to go along with the repaired modems, according to Shah. But members of the fraternity hope to gain the support of the university as well as the student body.

The fraternity arrived on campus last Fall. Since then it has acquired members of different religions and nationalities.

“We have Christians, Hindus, Muslims,” Shah said. “We are five from India, one from Bangladesh, and one from Cape Verde.”

For more information about Delta Epsilon Psi visit their website: www.depsinu.org.

If you would like to donate to Project PC Hookup, contact Emmanuel Berchmans at: secretary@depsinu.org.

Natalia Martinez

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

View images from the Miami soccer team's senior day match against Notre Dame, as well as shots ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...