Students kick off Spoken Word at the Rat

Many students at UM need a vehicle for their artistic expression, and Spoken Word provides an open atmosphere for budding artists to speak their minds.  The event is held every other Wednesday at the Rathskellar, and is relaunching for the fall semester on Wednesday at 8  p.m.

“This month’s Spoken Word is entirely a student-based, open-mic showcase,” said sophomore Sam Shunk, coordinator of Spoken Word.  Past performers have included Oveus Maximus and Sekou the Misfit, but this year Spoken Word is making an effort to bring real students’ words to the forefront.

Spoken Word in itself is a relatively new form of literary art, emerging in the late 1980s with “poetry slams” where the artists would verbally battle in cabaret-style duels.  In the US, Spoken Word was simply the mellow sibling of hip-hop battles, with a focus on political protest as well as personal insight.

Future acts include a reprisal of Sekou the Misfit’s past performances, as well as new international vocal act, the Voca People, who combine vocal sounds, acapella singing, and beat boxing in their performances.  This week’s gathering is dedicated purely to the words of UM students, though, and Shunk is hoping that new performers emerge.

“There is no feature this week, as we would like to learn more about the kind of poetry that this campus specifically has to offer,” Shunk said.

Students interested in being a part of Spoken Word should contact Sam Shunk at s.shunk@umiami.edu.

Alicia Abalo

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...