The Used create best work to date

The Used took all of the best elements from their last three albums, tossed them in a jar, shook them up and poured out their newest release, Artwork. This most recent project is arguably their best album to date.

The record still features The Used’s typical “I hate the world and life sucks” attitude, but this time, they’ve wrapped it up with a nice, well-crafted bow. Tracks like “Blood on my Hands” and “Meant to Die” have all of the elements of The Used’s screaming, pissed-off life view. On the other side, the record also has almost pop-inspired ballads like the album’s hit single “Watered Down,” and “Empty with You,” a song that boasts a chorus with the lyrics “You could be empty/And I can be right here empty with you/Or you can be hollow/And I can be right here hollow with you.”

That’s pretty much as close to gushy, mainstream love poetry as The Used is going to get (not to mention the fact that it sounds like a line from Twilight).

What’s impressive about this album is the fact that any of the songs could potentially be radio hits. The Used successfully created an album of all solid songs, without completely losing their gritty, angry vibe. It would have been nice if they had been a little more creative with the intricacies of the writing, though. While Artwork is certainly not the best album of the year, The Used created a winner.

3 out of 4 Stars

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

This was a neat idea that Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback website rolled out just as NFL tra ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...