The Used create best work to date

The Used took all of the best elements from their last three albums, tossed them in a jar, shook them up and poured out their newest release, Artwork. This most recent project is arguably their best album to date.

The record still features The Used’s typical “I hate the world and life sucks” attitude, but this time, they’ve wrapped it up with a nice, well-crafted bow. Tracks like “Blood on my Hands” and “Meant to Die” have all of the elements of The Used’s screaming, pissed-off life view. On the other side, the record also has almost pop-inspired ballads like the album’s hit single “Watered Down,” and “Empty with You,” a song that boasts a chorus with the lyrics “You could be empty/And I can be right here empty with you/Or you can be hollow/And I can be right here hollow with you.”

That’s pretty much as close to gushy, mainstream love poetry as The Used is going to get (not to mention the fact that it sounds like a line from Twilight).

What’s impressive about this album is the fact that any of the songs could potentially be radio hits. The Used successfully created an album of all solid songs, without completely losing their gritty, angry vibe. It would have been nice if they had been a little more creative with the intricacies of the writing, though. While Artwork is certainly not the best album of the year, The Used created a winner.

3 out of 4 Stars

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...