The Used create best work to date

The Used took all of the best elements from their last three albums, tossed them in a jar, shook them up and poured out their newest release, Artwork. This most recent project is arguably their best album to date.

The record still features The Used’s typical “I hate the world and life sucks” attitude, but this time, they’ve wrapped it up with a nice, well-crafted bow. Tracks like “Blood on my Hands” and “Meant to Die” have all of the elements of The Used’s screaming, pissed-off life view. On the other side, the record also has almost pop-inspired ballads like the album’s hit single “Watered Down,” and “Empty with You,” a song that boasts a chorus with the lyrics “You could be empty/And I can be right here empty with you/Or you can be hollow/And I can be right here hollow with you.”

That’s pretty much as close to gushy, mainstream love poetry as The Used is going to get (not to mention the fact that it sounds like a line from Twilight).

What’s impressive about this album is the fact that any of the songs could potentially be radio hits. The Used successfully created an album of all solid songs, without completely losing their gritty, angry vibe. It would have been nice if they had been a little more creative with the intricacies of the writing, though. While Artwork is certainly not the best album of the year, The Used created a winner.

3 out of 4 Stars

About Author

Jenna King Contributing Columnist

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...