Group meets to discuss programming

Bill Vilberg, the University of Miami’s director of instructional advancement, looked through the school’s course offerings last year but found no courses specifically on programming the iPhone.

Disappointed, but not deterred, he decided to start an “iPhone Development Meet-up.”

These meet-ups gave students and faculty who are interested in iPhone development a chance to get together and learn about programming for the phone.

“I’m not really going to be able to teach them much,” Vilberg said. “They are all probably much more advanced than me.”

The first meet-up was held last year and continued over the summer.

This year the first meet-up will be on Wednesday, Sept. 2. It will be held in Memorial Hall, room 118, from 7 to 9 p.m.

These meetings will be held the first Wednesday of every month.

The meet-ups will include demonstrations on iPhone programming and a chance to network with fellow programmers that can help each other learn about developing applications for the iPhone.

The group is not a club but a more relaxed gathering of students and faculty in a community of interest.

Anyone who has experience or interest in programming is welcome and can sign up by visiting the Instructional Advancement Center page at Miami.edu under the heading “events.”

“Once a month why don’t we just get together and see what’s up,” Viblerg said. “No officers, no business, no responsibilities. Just a group of people getting together.”

Vilberg may be contacted at 786-250-2255 or bill.vilberg@miami.edu.

Megan Terilli

Contributing EDGE Writer