Personal training among best-paid campus jobs

nadiafront

WORK IT OUT: Nadia Zebouni, a personal trainer at the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, takes time to stretch with her client before they go off on a brisk run to start their customized exercise routine. Tanya Thompson // First Impression Staff

Junior Nadia Zebouni has one of the best-paying student jobs on campus.

She doesn’t have to file papers, type reports or serve food. And her work attire is pretty casual: gym shorts, a pullover shirt and tennis shoes.

Zebouni is one of 15 certified personal trainers at the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center who helps members of the university achieve their fitness goals.

“My favorite part of the job is getting to help people and work one-on-one with them,” she said. “It’s easy because I live on campus, and I love seeing people get the same enjoyment out of working out as I do.”

Her clientele varies greatly in age as well as in reasons for hiring a trainer. Among them, there are runners hoping to improve on marathon times and those striving to learn how to properly tone muscles and use the center’s equipment effectively.

Senior Patricia Martini is one of Zebouni’s clients.

“Nadia is the best,” she said. “She’s in such great physical shape and she plays such a huge role in my motivation. I like working with her because she makes sure I’m doing everything right and working the right muscles.”

Zebouni and other trainers are certified by the National Council on Strength & Fitness and receive continuing education to stay up-to-date on the latest techniques.

“Personal trainers are the highest paid on-campus job,” said Desiree Adderley, assistant director of Fitness and Personal Training. “Plus, once you become certified, you’re a trainer for life as long as you renew your certification every two years.”

Wellness Center members may purchase single training sessions or a group of eight sessions for the cost of seven. Prices vary depending on membership status. Adderley did not comment on the exact amount that trainers are paid, though a search for student employment opportunities on myUM found that personal trainers are paid between $10 and $15 an hour.

Ali Kitenplon

Contributing EDGE Writer

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...