Personal training among best-paid campus jobs

nadiafront

WORK IT OUT: Nadia Zebouni, a personal trainer at the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, takes time to stretch with her client before they go off on a brisk run to start their customized exercise routine. Tanya Thompson // First Impression Staff

Junior Nadia Zebouni has one of the best-paying student jobs on campus.

She doesn’t have to file papers, type reports or serve food. And her work attire is pretty casual: gym shorts, a pullover shirt and tennis shoes.

Zebouni is one of 15 certified personal trainers at the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center who helps members of the university achieve their fitness goals.

“My favorite part of the job is getting to help people and work one-on-one with them,” she said. “It’s easy because I live on campus, and I love seeing people get the same enjoyment out of working out as I do.”

Her clientele varies greatly in age as well as in reasons for hiring a trainer. Among them, there are runners hoping to improve on marathon times and those striving to learn how to properly tone muscles and use the center’s equipment effectively.

Senior Patricia Martini is one of Zebouni’s clients.

“Nadia is the best,” she said. “She’s in such great physical shape and she plays such a huge role in my motivation. I like working with her because she makes sure I’m doing everything right and working the right muscles.”

Zebouni and other trainers are certified by the National Council on Strength & Fitness and receive continuing education to stay up-to-date on the latest techniques.

“Personal trainers are the highest paid on-campus job,” said Desiree Adderley, assistant director of Fitness and Personal Training. “Plus, once you become certified, you’re a trainer for life as long as you renew your certification every two years.”

Wellness Center members may purchase single training sessions or a group of eight sessions for the cost of seven. Prices vary depending on membership status. Adderley did not comment on the exact amount that trainers are paid, though a search for student employment opportunities on myUM found that personal trainers are paid between $10 and $15 an hour.

Ali Kitenplon

Contributing EDGE Writer

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...