Our opinion: Going through the five stages of graduation

We’ve all heard of the five stages of grief and dying: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. You may be wondering where the hell this editorial is headed right now, but if you think about it, the life cycle of a college student directly correlates to these five stages.

Denial – Think about freshman year. It’s all about learning the ropes and figuring out a balance between work and play. Most of our scales tip towards the “play” side. We deny the ever-present responsibility of living on our own.

Anger – “Shit! I hate my teacher, it’s not fair. I totally should have gotten at least a C on that test.” It’s easy to blame our poor study skills and lack of motivation on a “mean” teacher, but the truth is, you probably should have studied a little harder.

Bargaining – “I’ll do anything if you let me pass…and I mean anything” We’ve all been there before, begging and pleading for one last extra credit opportunity to boost that grade.

Depression – “What’s the point of studying now, there’s only two hours before the test and I know nothing, I’m screwed either way.” Depression once again comes around in full force in the beginning of a senior’s last semester.

Acceptance – By the end of senior year, you’ve accepted your fate. “I can’t avoid real life, I may as well prepare for it.”

For those seniors out there, the end is near. This fantasy we’ve been living for the past four (maybe five) years is about to conclude. On May 15, we’ll be standing face to face with the first day of the rest of our lives.

Congratulations and good luck.

Editorial Board

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...