Our opinion: Going through the five stages of graduation

We’ve all heard of the five stages of grief and dying: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. You may be wondering where the hell this editorial is headed right now, but if you think about it, the life cycle of a college student directly correlates to these five stages.

Denial – Think about freshman year. It’s all about learning the ropes and figuring out a balance between work and play. Most of our scales tip towards the “play” side. We deny the ever-present responsibility of living on our own.

Anger – “Shit! I hate my teacher, it’s not fair. I totally should have gotten at least a C on that test.” It’s easy to blame our poor study skills and lack of motivation on a “mean” teacher, but the truth is, you probably should have studied a little harder.

Bargaining – “I’ll do anything if you let me pass…and I mean anything” We’ve all been there before, begging and pleading for one last extra credit opportunity to boost that grade.

Depression – “What’s the point of studying now, there’s only two hours before the test and I know nothing, I’m screwed either way.” Depression once again comes around in full force in the beginning of a senior’s last semester.

Acceptance – By the end of senior year, you’ve accepted your fate. “I can’t avoid real life, I may as well prepare for it.”

For those seniors out there, the end is near. This fantasy we’ve been living for the past four (maybe five) years is about to conclude. On May 15, we’ll be standing face to face with the first day of the rest of our lives.

Congratulations and good luck.

Editorial Board

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Our opinion: Going through the five stages of graduation”

1. That’s a good analogy and it seems to work. Though it’s really the 5 stages of being a college student rather than 5 stages of graduation.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...