Our opinion: Party for national champion Murielle Ahoure provides opportunity for fan base

Far too often, the Miami fanbase is rapped as one that doesn’t support its teams and athletes nearly as much as it should. Wednesday will present an opportunity for fans and students to answer that challenge with a great event that should be pretty darn fun too.

University of Miami sprinter Murielle Ahoure won the national title in the indoor 200-meter run at the NCAA championships in March. Miami has a proud history of track and field success, and Ahoure continues that legacy. To celebrate her victory, Category 5 will be hosting a celebration of her championship on Wednesday at 12:30 in the University Center lounge.

Track and field athletes, along with other non-revenue sports, don’t get the credit they so rightly deserve. Athletes like Ahoure and Julia Cohen, who you can see on the cover of the sports section, work just as hard as football and basketball players but don’t receive the accolades they should. Now is the time to show your support for what they do and what they mean to the university.

So go to the UC Wednesday. Have some pizza. Meet Murielle and Sebastian the Ibis. It’s a fun time and a celebration of Miami’s successes, something we can all rally behind.

Editorial Board

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...