Our opinion: Party for national champion Murielle Ahoure provides opportunity for fan base

Far too often, the Miami fanbase is rapped as one that doesn’t support its teams and athletes nearly as much as it should. Wednesday will present an opportunity for fans and students to answer that challenge with a great event that should be pretty darn fun too.

University of Miami sprinter Murielle Ahoure won the national title in the indoor 200-meter run at the NCAA championships in March. Miami has a proud history of track and field success, and Ahoure continues that legacy. To celebrate her victory, Category 5 will be hosting a celebration of her championship on Wednesday at 12:30 in the University Center lounge.

Track and field athletes, along with other non-revenue sports, don’t get the credit they so rightly deserve. Athletes like Ahoure and Julia Cohen, who you can see on the cover of the sports section, work just as hard as football and basketball players but don’t receive the accolades they should. Now is the time to show your support for what they do and what they mean to the university.

So go to the UC Wednesday. Have some pizza. Meet Murielle and Sebastian the Ibis. It’s a fun time and a celebration of Miami’s successes, something we can all rally behind.

Editorial Board

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...