Should I respect religion?

Twenty years ago, in February of 1989, Salman Rushdie began a life of hiding that would last almost a decade. After the publication of Rushdie’s brilliant novel The Satanic Verses, the Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa ordering all true Muslims to kill him. Last November I met the great author in Miami and was pleased to see him alive and in good spirits. His place among the greatest minds of our time is undisputed, but for almost 10 years we came dangerously close to losing him.

And yet the people willing to condemn him for allegedly insulting Islam abound. Religion deserves respect, we are told, and criticism of it is invariably perceived as an assault on the right to religious belief. The price of religious tolerance quickly becomes the intolerance of freedom, for the simple fact that certain religious values – whether Christian, Islamic or otherwise – are in opposition to the values of a liberal democracy. According to Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the brave Muslim dissident whose life has been threatened countless times, female genital mutilation is practiced in over 30 countries. Are secular democratic nations somehow supposed to accept this ritual in the name of religious tolerance?

Take a less extreme and more familiar example. In the United States, right-wing Christian organizations such as the Family Research Council have fought quite successfully against mandatory vaccination against human papillomavirus in young girls on the grounds that it might encourage sexual promiscuity. Religious conviction thus gets in the way of public health; cervical cancer, the risk of which the HPV vaccine can lower considerably, is currently one of the major causes of death from cancer among women across the globe.

If I seem to focus somewhat on the influence of religious beliefs on women, it is because this problematic relationship remains, to me at least, one of most objectionable issues of mainstream religious belief. You don’t have to delve deep into either the Bible or the Qu’ran to encounter blatant examples of misogyny, particularly when it comes to issues of female sexuality which, as ever, elicit suspicious (and violent) male distrust.

Should I respect religion? I am inclined to say no on the grounds that religion doesn’t respect me either. On the other hand, religious belief is an inalienable right in the same way that disbelief is, and that is something I will always respect and defend without hesitation. What I refuse to respect is the heavy machinery of organized religion that continues to threaten the openness of secular democratic values (and thereby other religions, too). Open-armed tolerance of religious rituals and beliefs is a far more problematic and complex issue than people are willing to admit. The cost of this ignorance could be far greater than we realize.

Morten Hoi Jensen

Contributing Opinion Writer

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Should I respect religion?”

1. anon says:

Farrah Fawcett and many other straight and gay women and MEN wouldn’t have anal cancer if they received the HPV vaccine. The Family Research Council is a hate group like so many other religious and other groups.

2. Agreed. Incidentally it is when he writes about politics, literature, philosophy, and history that he is best. Read ‘Unacknowledged Legislation’, ‘Letters to a Young Contrarian’ and ‘Love, Poverty, and War’ if you haven’t already.

3. Kelly says:

You’re right, I was typing a quick response and made a mistake! It is Christopher Hitchens and the full title of his amazing book is “God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.” A fantastic read!! :)

4. Not be too much of a pedant, but his name is Christopher Hitchens and the book is ‘God is Not Great’ – just out in paperback.

5. Kelly says:

Amen, sister! (And yes, the “amen” is ironic.)

As an atheist, I have often felt marginalized not just because of my sex but because of my refusal to bow down to misogynistic religious beliefs. I think this is a thoughtful reflection of the physical harms religion causes those who are often the most vulnerable in society, in particular women. The ill effects of religion are not always so obvious as female genital mutilation; they can be more insidious, like the “Rape Law” that was just ratified, or even the religious ideal of a “pure” woman (i.e., a woman who denies her sexual nature). A woman who embraces her sexuality is a slut, whereas a man who engages in the same behavior is often praised. The sometimes subtle double-standard is another one of the many physical and psychological harms attributable to religion.

Carl Hitchens’ “Why God Is Not Great” and Richard Dawkins’ “The God Delusion” offer more arguments against religion than just its horrible consequences– i.e., why religion is inherently, logically, philosophically misguided. I highly recommend them to everyone because they are so thoroughly researched and well-written.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...