Should I respect religion?

Twenty years ago, in February of 1989, Salman Rushdie began a life of hiding that would last almost a decade. After the publication of Rushdie’s brilliant novel The Satanic Verses, the Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa ordering all true Muslims to kill him. Last November I met the great author in Miami and was pleased to see him alive and in good spirits. His place among the greatest minds of our time is undisputed, but for almost 10 years we came dangerously close to losing him.

And yet the people willing to condemn him for allegedly insulting Islam abound. Religion deserves respect, we are told, and criticism of it is invariably perceived as an assault on the right to religious belief. The price of religious tolerance quickly becomes the intolerance of freedom, for the simple fact that certain religious values – whether Christian, Islamic or otherwise – are in opposition to the values of a liberal democracy. According to Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the brave Muslim dissident whose life has been threatened countless times, female genital mutilation is practiced in over 30 countries. Are secular democratic nations somehow supposed to accept this ritual in the name of religious tolerance?

Take a less extreme and more familiar example. In the United States, right-wing Christian organizations such as the Family Research Council have fought quite successfully against mandatory vaccination against human papillomavirus in young girls on the grounds that it might encourage sexual promiscuity. Religious conviction thus gets in the way of public health; cervical cancer, the risk of which the HPV vaccine can lower considerably, is currently one of the major causes of death from cancer among women across the globe.

If I seem to focus somewhat on the influence of religious beliefs on women, it is because this problematic relationship remains, to me at least, one of most objectionable issues of mainstream religious belief. You don’t have to delve deep into either the Bible or the Qu’ran to encounter blatant examples of misogyny, particularly when it comes to issues of female sexuality which, as ever, elicit suspicious (and violent) male distrust.

Should I respect religion? I am inclined to say no on the grounds that religion doesn’t respect me either. On the other hand, religious belief is an inalienable right in the same way that disbelief is, and that is something I will always respect and defend without hesitation. What I refuse to respect is the heavy machinery of organized religion that continues to threaten the openness of secular democratic values (and thereby other religions, too). Open-armed tolerance of religious rituals and beliefs is a far more problematic and complex issue than people are willing to admit. The cost of this ignorance could be far greater than we realize.

Morten Hoi Jensen

Contributing Opinion Writer

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Should I respect religion?”

1. anon says:

Farrah Fawcett and many other straight and gay women and MEN wouldn’t have anal cancer if they received the HPV vaccine. The Family Research Council is a hate group like so many other religious and other groups.

2. Agreed. Incidentally it is when he writes about politics, literature, philosophy, and history that he is best. Read ‘Unacknowledged Legislation’, ‘Letters to a Young Contrarian’ and ‘Love, Poverty, and War’ if you haven’t already.

3. Kelly says:

You’re right, I was typing a quick response and made a mistake! It is Christopher Hitchens and the full title of his amazing book is “God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.” A fantastic read!! :)

4. Not be too much of a pedant, but his name is Christopher Hitchens and the book is ‘God is Not Great’ – just out in paperback.

5. Kelly says:

Amen, sister! (And yes, the “amen” is ironic.)

As an atheist, I have often felt marginalized not just because of my sex but because of my refusal to bow down to misogynistic religious beliefs. I think this is a thoughtful reflection of the physical harms religion causes those who are often the most vulnerable in society, in particular women. The ill effects of religion are not always so obvious as female genital mutilation; they can be more insidious, like the “Rape Law” that was just ratified, or even the religious ideal of a “pure” woman (i.e., a woman who denies her sexual nature). A woman who embraces her sexuality is a slut, whereas a man who engages in the same behavior is often praised. The sometimes subtle double-standard is another one of the many physical and psychological harms attributable to religion.

Carl Hitchens’ “Why God Is Not Great” and Richard Dawkins’ “The God Delusion” offer more arguments against religion than just its horrible consequences– i.e., why religion is inherently, logically, philosophically misguided. I highly recommend them to everyone because they are so thoroughly researched and well-written.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...