Students to ‘hug the lake’ on Wednesday

HUG IT OUT: Students gathered on Earth Day 2008 to "Hug the Lake." Random Acts of Kindness will again host the event on Lake Osceola on Wednesday. HILARY SAUNDERS // Hurricane Staff

You’ve seen them around campus, the people carrying signs with inspirational phrases, giving you a huge smile and often a warm hug. This Wednesday, Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) is inviting you to pay those hugs forward to the entirety of Lake Osceola.

Wednesday is Earth Day, and to celebrate RAK is sponsoring the third annual “Hug the Lake” in conjunction with other eco-friendly events being held to promote a greener world.

“The whole idea behind Hug the Lake is to appreciate our little campus and in turn the big world around us,” said Carol Perry, a past RAK president. “Coordinating it with Earth Day seemed like the perfect way to juxtapose the two and remind ourselves how lucky we are to live here.”

This year, junior Kemy Joseph, the current president of RAK, plans on making this the biggest Hug the Lake ever.

“People ask why we do Hug the Lake, and the answer is this,” Joseph said. “We do it because we love giving hugs and bringing people together and Hug the Lake lets us do both on a big scale while showing our appreciation to the earth.”

If you go

Who: Random Acts of Kindness
What: “Hug the Lake” celebration
Where: Around Lake Osceola
When: Wednesday, April 22; 12:05 p.m.-12:10 p.m.

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...