Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Genetically-modified food needs better monitoring

For the past decade, genetically modified organisms, more commonly referred to as GMOs, have been highly debated. One big topic regarding these genetically-altered crops has been the labeling of these when used in our foods. Since there are no laws on labeling these crops, we have no clue as to what has been modified and what hasn’t been modified, thereby making us believe that, for example, the corn we consume on a regular basis has been raised organically or by conventional methods, when in fact its genetic makeup has been introduced to a pesticide gene.

When an organism has been modified, it is tested in a laboratory to check if it has changed significantly enough to where it can no longer be considered what the parent product was. If it genetic makeup matches that of the original genetic makeup, it is given the green light to get put on the market; if it has changed to where it no longer resembles the original source, then it is rejected.

A large concern is the introduction of genes from foods that people have allergies to, to foods that people aren’t allergic to. This has brought up the use of peanut genes, since there are a large number of people who have allergies to peanuts. If the product isn’t labeled, people will unknowingly consume the product which could cause serious harm. People should be able to go to the grocery store and know exactly what is in the foods they are buying. It should be up to the consumer to decide if they want a banana that was grown organically or if they want a banana modified with an antibiotic that will cure their sweet tooth and their cold at the same time.

The answer to knowing that the foods we consume are modified is an easy one. Laws should be placed to warn the consumer of where the gene has come from. My belief on this is it will put people at ease. So many people are uptight about eating anything that isn’t organic because they believe they are eating some Frankenstein food that is going to kill them. By making people more knowledgeable about the foods they eat, I feel that many more will begin to support this technology.

I am not against GMOs in any way; in fact, I believe that as long as we keep a close watch on them and keep observing the progress of them, that we may in fact have found an answer to many of the diseases related to hunger and malnourishment in third world countries. I just believe that as a consumer I want to know whether or not my corn has a pesticide built into it or if my strawberry shares some traits with a fish found off the coasts of Alaska.

–David Martinez
Sophomore

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: Genetically-modified food needs better monitoring”

1. Daniel says:

It doesn’t seem like placing labels on those foods will deter the “introduction of genes from foods that people have allergies to.” If there would be a law requiring foods that are genetically altered to be labeled so that consumers can know which ones they are allergic too, isn’t it obvious that if a food has an allergic gene to it that scientists will fix the problem rather than labeling it as unsafe?

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...