Imaginative Ratatat poised to rock Revolution

edgeFor those looking for a good dance party following the end of the Winter Music Conference, Brooklyn duo Ratatat will bring their electronica beats to Ft. Lauderdale’s Revolution this Sunday night.

Skidmore College students Mike Stroud and Evan Mast began collaborating back in 2001 under the name Cherry. In 2004, Cherry became Ratatat, and the band released their debut album. Ratatat create their signature sound using only guitar, bass, synthesizer and occasionally vocal samples. Though neither of the duo’s members contribute to their recordings vocally, Ratatat released two volumes of remixes that placed their beats under the voices of Notorious B.I.G., Kanye West, Jay-Z and other big names.

Their latest album, LP3, takes a slight departure from 2006’s Classics, with the band sounding more like an actual band than a synth-filled electro-rock outburst. Still, the beats are distinctly Ratatat, just a bit more imaginative and poppy.

After spending much of 2008 touring the globe, Ratatat returned to their native land to embark on a U.S. tour earlier this spring, including their upcoming dates in South Florida. Many stops on the tour have already sold out, including shows in Portland, San Francisco, Santa Cruz and Austin.

Openers for the show include hip-hop artist Despot and San Francisco-based band Tussle. The evening is set to begin at 7 p.m.

If You Go:

What: Instrumental electronica duo Ratatat

When: April 12 at 7 p.m.

Where: Revolution, Ft. Lauderdale (200 W. Broward Blvd. Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312)

Cost: $17 (before fees) at ticketmaster.com

Lauren Shepherd

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...