Community gathers again for Jazz on the Green

Spectators of all ages attended the free Jazz on the Green Concert behind the Gusman Concert Hall on Sunday afternoon. The University of Miami Jazz Concert Band performed with guest artist Nicole Yarling.

The Coral Gables community, UM students, faculty and alumni did not hesitate to take advantage of the free event.

“I was excited for a free jazz concert out on the green. It’s a beautiful day, it’s free, so I grabbed a blanket, some sandwiches and came,” junior Stephanie Lavey said.

While some students came because it was free, other students had different motivations.

“I thought it would be a great idea to take a break from studying,” graduate student Lennie Coleman said.

The concert not only benefited the student attendees but the student performers as well.

“It is practical experience for them playing in a big band. Playing a live show makes them not completely unaware of what’s in store for them.” said Dante Luciani, the band director.

Even Yarling, an established jazz vocalist who also plays violin and fiddle, was delighted to perform with the UM students.

“They are all great musicians. It is an honor to work with them,” she said.

The Jazz on the Green event was sponsored by the Succession Group, a wealth transfer and business succession planning firm.

“To be able to share my appreciation and love for music with the UM community is a gift,” explained Peggy Hollander, a member of UM Citizen’s Board and managing partner of the Succession Group.

Shelly Berg, dean of the School of Music, expressed his delight at the event’s continual appeal.

“This is our sixth year so its popularity is growing and everyone loves it – I know I do!” he said. “The turnout keeps getting better.”

Mikaela Green

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...