Our opinion: Status of art school facilities a concern for all students

It’s easy to look around our campus and imagine it as a paradise of higher education. Between the wildlife and the vegetation, it sometimes more closely resembles a country club than a university. But there is a significant blight on the Coral Gables campus, and while it doesn’t directly impact each student, it is something we should all be aware of.

As reported in our cover story, our university’s art school is housed in buildings that can only be described as sub-standard. Constructed by the Army in the times of our grandparents, the wooden shacks have long outserved their usefulness to our university. History is something to be preserved and cherished by our university, but this is taking it a little bit too far.

And the greatest indignity is the fact that there is no quick-action plan to rectify the situation. A building that was supposed to be knocked over in 1992 still stands to this day, and is expected to stand until at least 2015, if not longer. We get that the economy isn’t exactly flying right now, but at some point it’s unfair to expect students who bear the same tuition burden as every other Cane to try to learn in these kind of conditions.

And therein lies the point. We’re all students at the University of Miami. From engineering to English, from calculus to communication and clay works, we all pay the same tuition and inhabit the same campus. How can we look at our art school friends and say to them just grin and bear it while we enjoy our renovated Memorial classrooms and brand new buildings in Communications and Nursing? We all want the best possible education for ourselves for our investment. But when some students are dealing with such insufficient facilities, all students should be their advocates.

Editorial Board

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...