New video project launches to attract prospective graduate students

On the steps up to the UC Breezeway, two graduate students, Brandi Robinson and Ann Masterman, carry a small white camcorder into the book store.

Robinson films their surroundings while Masterman describes their location in detail.

The video they shoot is one of the many technological and interactive innovations UM’s graduate school hopes will attract prospective students into applying for admission. If the project is approved by the graduate school’s dean, Terri A. Scandura, it will be designed to be featured prominently on the graduate school’s blog and promote video sharing from current graduate students as a way to encourage feedback and provide information to interested applicants.

“Grad students, these are the things you can bring back home to mom and dad,” Masterman said.

Robinson is the public relations graduate school assistant and Masterman is the graduate assistant to Scandura. The two assistants are creating a five minute video tour of the university campus for 20 incoming graduate students, which will provide information about certain centers in the campus that students could never get from a walking tour.

“When you’re an undergrad, they hold your hand, but once you’re a graduate student they set you free,” Robinson said.

Robinson said that the video could help out-of-state graduate students gain knowledge about the campus without necessarily having to know anyone from the campus.

“We want to make it less of a mission,” she said.

Robinson and Masterman started their tour with a ride on the Hurry ‘Cane shuttles, with Masterman discussing how convenient it is for those not used to the Florida heat. At Stanford Circle, the two shot around noted areas such as the UC Rock and Toppel Career Center.

As the filming ended, Robinson and Masterman discussed the future of the video tour.

“We’re trying to test it out, to see if Dean Scandura likes it. She likes new innovations,” Masterman said.

Once the video is approved, the girls intend to post it on the graduate school blog, where students can give feedback. They want to make biweekly videos.

Masterman said that improving graduate student communication is key. 

“What we hope to do in Dean Scandura’s five year plan is to improve structures and policies,” Masterman said. “We want to make it a user-friendly atmosphere.”

About Author

Andrea Concepcion Contributing News Writer

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...