An introduction to Hurricane Productions’ Claudia Medina

JENNA KING // HURRICANE STAFF

JENNA KING // HURRICANE STAFF

Amidst the other people in the I-Lounge, Claudia Medina looks like any other student at the University of Miami. Relaxing on one of the couches in a UM hoodie and black leggings, one would have no idea by looking at her that she is actually one of the most influential students on campus.

That is what is appealing about Medina and what she has accomplished. She’s risen to the top of one of the most influential student groups on campus and she hasn’t lost her humble disposition in the process.

Medina, a senior double-majoring in political science and philosophy, is the president of Hurricane Productions (HP), the largest programming board at the University of Miami. HP is responsible for bringing the student population events like The Dark Knight and the Lord of the Rings marathon last semester at the Cosford Cinema, all of the live acts on the patio on Thursdays, guest speakers, musicals, plays and so much more.

In her two years as president, Medina has gained the respect and admiration of those that work with her.

“Claudia is a joy to work with,” said Meghan Ewing, chair of QuantUM Entertainment which is HP’s theatre and film production company. “She brings energy and enthusiasm to everything she works on. She’s been a great role model for me. I absolutely love her.”

For Medina, the feeling is mutual for all of her colleagues at HP.

“None of the amazing events and shows that HP is able to provide would happen if it weren’t for the people that run each committee,” she said. “Everyone is so talented and they all work so hard. I’m honored to work with them everyday.”

This semester, they are working harder than ever to bring the campus a wide range of entertainment.

“We have a ton of really exciting and eclectic bands coming to Patio Jams on Thursdays, and QuantUM has an amazing lineup of shows from ‘Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom’ to ‘The Vagina Monologues’ as well as their films that they produce every semester,” Medina said. “And that’s just the beginning.”

Best of all, HP events are always free for students.

In addition to the fun and entertainment, Medina hopes HP might even provide some thought-provoking messages to students.

Said Medina, “When students think of HP, I want them to think of good times. When they see the HP logo on advertisements for an event, they can trust that it will be an amazing show, an inspiring speaker, a fabulous movie. And hopefully they know that there is so much work put in to make those things happen. And that we do it for them.”

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...