Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Response to criticism of WQAM announcer Joe Zagacki

Alumnus Ben Brislawn’s attack on UM sportscaster Joe Zagacki (Feb. 23-25) crosses the line of opinion or taste, into the realm of character assassination, and demands a response.

In my 23 years of teaching at the University of Miami, I have listened to countless games broadcast by Mr. Zagacki (who I do not know personally), and have always found his announcing crisp, efficient, informed – utterly professional. His devotion to the university is absolutely unquestioned, yet he will report with candor on a team’s deficiencies as well as its successes. His delivery is clear, entirely listenable, and not without humor. The young WVUM talent would do well to “go to school” on Joe Zagacki’s many strengths.

Finally, since Mr. Brislawn takes a potshot at him too, let me put in a word for Don Bailey, Jr., whose color analysis is a fine, enthusiastic complement to Zagacki’s steady play-by-play. The university is fortunate to have both gentlemen announcing its athletic events, and I hope they’ll continue do so for a long time.

Sincerely,
Peter Schmitt
Department of English

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...