Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: A response from Iron Arrow

The bylaws of Iron Arrow state that one may not be recognized for what one did as an undergraduate after graduation. On the other hand, if such an individual has excelled in his/her respective fields and/or continued to enhance the University of Miami, then that individual may be considered for selection based upon those merits.

Iron Arrow members wore their jackets in honor of Dr. Stanford, who would have certainly appreciated the honor we showed him by wearing those jackets. Henry King Stanford was as proud of Iron Arrow, the highest honor one may attain at the University of Miami, as his predecessors were. I regret that Henry’s jacket was not there on display. He would have been delighted that Iron Arrow members cared enough to wear their jackets to his memorial service.

May I point out that President Shalala was wearing her Iron Arrow jacket, as well as former President Tad Foote and his wife, Bosey Foote?

Maybe the distraction was really caused by “jacket envy?”

Dr. Stanford is memorialized on a daily basis by the places named in his honor while he was still alive to appreciate the fact that everyone thought so highly of him. He was well aware that those of us who knew and loved him believed him to be a legend in his own time.

– Micki Lewis
Class of 1965

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

6 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: A response from Iron Arrow”

1. Classof2011 says:

Is the Miami Hurricane following up on this?
    Are the editors contacting Bradley Feuer
    Or is the broom sweeping it all under the rug.

2. UMA says:

Iron Arrow says the work and service before graduation wasnt enough on those students? It also says their post graudation achievements and service were not enough. Can they be talking about the two very people who got named by Mr. Feuer, two people who just happen to be amongst the most successful and respected people in the areas history, in the areas of law and municipal government for one, and real estate and development for the other, and the Iron Arrow commentary response says something about jacket envy, is that serious or just another reflection in the mirror of ignorance arrogance and avoiding taking responsibility for misguided policies and a train off track. Those of us taking the time to look into all of this are somewhat shocked by what lies beneath the surface of those club jackets. Let the old train go, wherever the lost track takes it. Students can surely form that new envisioned honor society that deserves having the label “honor” society.

3. Anonymous says:

Mr. Lewis’s response reminds me of the incident, when attending UM in the 1970’s, that a UM Football player through me into Lake Osceola “for the fun of it”. In those days, Iron Arrow was an organization for jocks, and dominated by football players including the one who humiliated me. The University’s highest honor?

I applaud the idea of a Stanford Honor Society and encourage current students to move forward, in the memory of this great man, to create a recognition that is truly worthy of that phrase, “highest honor.”

4. Ronald Walters says:

If that is how Iron Arrow responds to objective and fair comment then it has revealed how little has changed within its mindset over the decades. Similar situations can be found at various institutions around the nation. The idea of Mr. Feuer has merit and should be considered at all levels, and perhaps students will take up the concept and create an honor society that can create pride for its past, present and future as the university community aligns itself with the reality of life in the 21st century.

5. Aaron Schwartz says:

The utter arrogance displayed in the tone of Mr. Lewis’s Letter to the Editor is clearly indicative of the attitude of Iron Arrow, and the reason why UM needs an honor society that can truly serve as the “University’s Highest Honor”. One that can honestly reflect the ideals, character (including humility) and vision that was embodied by the late Henry King Stanford.

6. Ronni Weston says:

By-laws? Seriously? Like the by-laws that once outlawed women from membership? Like the by-laws that violated people’s civil rights? Like the by-laws that caused litigation, removal from campus, and embarrassment to the entire University? Don’t hide behind by-laws when you foster a dis-honor wrapped up as if it were an honor.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...