Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: A response from Iron Arrow

The bylaws of Iron Arrow state that one may not be recognized for what one did as an undergraduate after graduation. On the other hand, if such an individual has excelled in his/her respective fields and/or continued to enhance the University of Miami, then that individual may be considered for selection based upon those merits.

Iron Arrow members wore their jackets in honor of Dr. Stanford, who would have certainly appreciated the honor we showed him by wearing those jackets. Henry King Stanford was as proud of Iron Arrow, the highest honor one may attain at the University of Miami, as his predecessors were. I regret that Henry’s jacket was not there on display. He would have been delighted that Iron Arrow members cared enough to wear their jackets to his memorial service.

May I point out that President Shalala was wearing her Iron Arrow jacket, as well as former President Tad Foote and his wife, Bosey Foote?

Maybe the distraction was really caused by “jacket envy?”

Dr. Stanford is memorialized on a daily basis by the places named in his honor while he was still alive to appreciate the fact that everyone thought so highly of him. He was well aware that those of us who knew and loved him believed him to be a legend in his own time.

– Micki Lewis
Class of 1965

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...