Langerado canceled but weekend promises to rock hard

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI

Like many University of Miami students, Tom Skibo had purchased his ticket to Langerado months in advance and was anxiously awaiting the annual three-day outdoor music festival’s first year in downtown Miami. That is, until he received a text message from a friend explaining it had been canceled.

“It ruined my whole class period. I couldn’t learn,” he said.

However, promoters like LiveNation scurried to book Langerado bands in the Miami area and this weekend is packed with concerts to throw your Langerado refund money towards.

Friday starts the weekend with a tough decision. The alternative reggae band Bad Brains play City Limits in Delray Beach, a little less than an hour north of campus. The show costs $25 and begins at 8 p.m. with Whole Wheat Bread and Lionize opening. Or, catch Tricky, the British hip-hop rocker, with electronica masters Holy Fuck, at Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale at 7 p.m. for $22.

On Saturday, witness the Irish ’80s supergroup The Pogues kick off their North American tour at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater, about a half hour north of campus at 8:30 p.m. Tickets run around $45, but don’t be surprised if scalpers are jacking the price this close to the show.

The Latin and hip-hop tinged group Ozomatli will play at the Culture Room Saturday night, too. General admission tickets cost $20 and the show begins at 8 p.m.

Of course, students can also stay on campus Saturday night to dance the night away with jam-rockers Umphrey’s McGee. The free, two-set show starts at 8 p.m. on the UC Patio.

Sunday night, abrasive Washington-based indie darlings Modest Mouse rock Revolution with Mimicking Birds and Japanese Motors. Woody Graber, Revolution’s public relations consultant commented, “Revolution jumped at doing Tricky and Modest Mouse. They felt those were two extremely strong acts.” The show starts at 6:30 p.m. and tickets run $30. Unfortunately, Ticketmaster already sold out, so fans will have to hunt around if they missed Mouse at the Fillmore in June.

Pop encyclopedia Girl Talk also rolls into Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday at the Culture Room with sensitive noise rockers Deerhunter opening. Doors open at 8 p.m. and tickets cost $25. Scott Swartz, who plans to attend, said, “Girl Talk is the perfect artist for our ADD nation. He’s about making awesome mixes that are great to dance to.” Claustrophobics beware: expect a giant, sweaty dance party that involves getting really close to other concert-goers.

Hipster favorites Tokyo Police Club (no, they’re Canadian) cap the trifecta of talent performing on Sunday. This all ages show at City Limits starts at seven with Ruby Coast and TV Club opening for the buzz-building indie poppers. Tickets are $15 in advance, $17 day of show.

For those bent on attending a festival this weekend, look into the first annual Harvest of Hope Fest at the St. Johns County Fairgrounds in St. Augustine. The three-day event boasts over 100 bands and picked up many Langerado castoffs, including The Mountain Goats, Tilly and the Wall, and Black Kids. Also, for those trying to be economical, Girl Talk, Deerhunter, Tokyo Police Club and Bad Brains are all playing the fest. Tickets cost $39.50 for all three days and $19.50 for single day-passes. For those disappointed by Langerado’s no camping policy this year, Harvest of Hope offers a $29.50 camping pass which is good for up to four people. All proceeds are promised to the Harvest of Hope Foundation which aids migrant farm workers.

Kevin Coleman

Contributing EDGE Writer

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...