Letters to the Editor

I didn’t need to shoot the sheriff, or the deputy

I went to the Caribbean Festival all day yesterday. It used to be called Bob Marley Fest, but I guess calling it something a little more generic brings more people in. I heard a rumor floating around a few days before the show that within the borders of the festival, marijuana is decriminalized. Now, I wasn’t planning on walking up to one of the many police officers with spliff in hand to ask, “Is this OK, officer?”

What I did notice from the police, though, was the old “turn-the-shoulder-and-waft-a-fan-in-your-face” method, ensuring no inhalation takes place. Haha, what a joke.

I saw this one, kind of cute, police officer with an accentuated bottom laughing and joking with this 60-plus-year-old Rastaman all while he was smoking a marijuana cigarette. He even rolled it up in front of her. Legal? No, but I guess the committed attitude from law enforcement on days like yesterday, at a place like the Bob Marley Festival, is that you can’t catch them all, so why catch any? When the sun went down and the lights came on, the smoke rising from the audience was phenomenal.

Although I kept my smoking to a minimum yesterday, the main message the Marleys and other performers tried to push was peace, love and unity; unity with yourself, unity with the world.

–Samuel Hendrix

Class of 2010

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...